Managing Multiple Visual Studio Projects

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cserold

Managing Multiple Visual Studio Projects

Post by cserold » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 am

Hello,

Generally what I am trying to ask is :
"Is it possible to effectively manage multiple projects located in different directories (not all under a common root directory) in the same solution."

I am having a very difficult time understanding how Vault/VS 2005 manage multiple projects inside of a single solution file. For example, I have a large class library project that is included in all my web site projects. Say the class library project exists locally at C:\Projects\MyClassLibrary\ and the websiite project exists at C:\Projects\WebSites\MySite\ and both of these projects are added to a single solution. Can this effectively be managed using vault or do all files used in a single solution have to be under the same root directory?

Also, could a single solution with multiple projects reference multiple Vault repositories (one for each project) or can each solution only have a single repository?

Thanks!
Craig

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi Craig!

Web projects can be a little bit difficult to manage in VS 2005. I have found lots of beneficial information on Microsoft's website in regards to web projects and their structure along with source code control.

They state that unlike local projects, a Web project cannot include items outside its project directory. When you add an existing file to a Web project, Visual Studio includes it in the project by copying it to the virtual application root, a directory on the Web server where all project items and build outputs are stored.

For more information, review the following link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... dionet.asp

Structuring Solutions and Projects:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... lg_ch3.asp

Pay special attention to the "Use a Consistent Folder Structure for Solutions and Projects" section in the above article.

By following these guidelines, Vault should work appropriately with VS 2005.
Also, could a single solution with multiple projects reference multiple Vault repositories (one for each project) or can each solution only have a single repository?
A solution that exists in source code control can only have projects tied to one repository. In other words, you can't have a solution with two projects where both projects exist in different repositories.

Tonya

cserold

That's what I was looking for!

Post by cserold » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:00 pm

Tonya,
thanks for taking the time to find those reference materials... I would highly recommend ALWAYS starting from a new blank solution when using VS 2005 and then adding existing or creating new projects (whether they be web sites (the new style), web appllication projects, class libraries, etc..) beneath this blank solution. Having the root folder that just contains the .sln file with a single child folder for each project included in the solution makes like MUCH easier. Things are going smooth now.

Thanks again,
Craig