modified date vs. remote date

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chadslagle

modified date vs. remote date

Post by chadslagle » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 pm

Dreamweaver, in it's modified date field in site manager, is displaying the remote date in Vault, instead of the modified date (which matches the modified date in the DW local folder / file system. Is there any way for me to fix this?

The users seem to think what they are checking in is being changed, and they are freaking out that the dates don't match up.. :roll:

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 01, 2006 8:09 am

Which modified date field are you referring to?

The file list in Local View should show the local file system date, and the file list in Remote View should show the date of the last checked in version of the file.

Note that Vault allows you to control the date the local file is set to on a Get: Either the checkin date on the Vault server, the time the file was actually modified before it was last checked in, or the current time as of the Get. You can set this in the Vault GUI client, in Tools->Options->Local Files. It may be that what you are seeing is that Vault is setting the local time of the file according to its default option, which may not be what you want.

Also, if you change that setting, you may need to re-get the files (or delete the local ones) for the dates to actually changes on the file. It may only set the dates if a new version is to be retrieved on the Get.

chadslagle

could you be more specific??

Post by chadslagle » Tue May 02, 2006 10:54 am

Could you be more specific as to which option to change to get the desired result? I'm assuming it's

Tools -> Options -> Local Files

But in the "Set File Time:" drop down menu, there is three options, and it wasn't really specified which option I should select to have the "Local Date" on vault set to the "Date Modified" on the windows file system when checking in.

Back to the main topic..
The "Modified Date" in Vault matches the "Date Modified" on the windows file system regardless of settings right? Dreamweaver is being supplied the "Local Date" in Vault, rather than the "Modified Date" in Vault in Site Manager. Using the default settings in vault, the dates do not match up in DW (remote site -> local site) which has caused a great deal of confusion with some of my users who either think their files haven't been moved, or have been modified by Vault after they have been. Now, I know that Vault isn't making changes to files, and no one using dreamweaver cares when it was checked in. I think it would be easier to administer if Vault supplied DW the "Modified Date" instead of having to reconfigure everyones client after installation.

I don't know if this is easy for you to do, or if people agree with me, but I sure would think it was cool!! 8)

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 am

I'm not sure I totally understand, but it sounds like you want the dates in Local View and in Remote View to always match, unless the files have been modified by the user?

In that case, you want to set Tools -> Options -> Local Files to "Check In" date, because Dreamweaver requires that the date in Remote View be the checkin date of the file, and doing a Get with Check In date will set the local file to the datetime of the last checkin datetime, which will then match the Remote View.

Let me know if that works for you. Each user will need to set it that way, and perhaps do a fresh Get to an empty folder.