MSDE to SQL

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Leviathan2006

MSDE to SQL

Post by Leviathan2006 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:20 am

I need to move my existing Vault MSDE database to a MS SQL server.
Ideally, I would like to be able to install the SQL Server on the existing server, and then migrate the data from the MSDE instance to the SQL server.

1. Is this possible?
2. Are there any instructions/dummies guide available for this? I have to make sure that this is transparent to my users.
3. Can this be done using the backup/restore from the admin client, or is this all MS SQL issues?
4. Will I need to reinstall the Vault Server?

Any advice, assistance, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 05, 2006 8:44 am

This *should* be as simple as uninstalling MSDE and installing SQL Server. There is no difference in format between MSDE and SQL Server, so there is no DB translation that needs to take place.

However, SQL and MSDE have different default locations, which will require Vault to be reconfigured. Here are some steps to take:

1. Backup the Vault database and make sure you know where it is backed up to (it uses MSDE's default location).
2. Uninstall MSDE
3. Uninstall the Vault Server
4. Install SQL Server
5. Restore the Vault database to SQL using SQL Server
6. Re-install the Vault server and choose the Vault DB that was restored as the Vault DB.

There isn't a way to avoid Vault downtime with this, so you may want to do it during low-usage times, and maybe even do a dry run with a test database on a seperate machine to make sure all the kinks are worked out.