Project transactions out of order after import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gdenning

Project transactions out of order after import

Post by gdenning » Mon May 08, 2006 10:30 am

I just finished importing my SourceSafe repository into Vault, and it ran without errors over the weekend (took 2 full days, but that's okay). However, I've noticed a problem. When I try to merge two folders, the "Select Changes to be Merged" list (5th page of the merge branches wizard) shows transactions completely out of order. The list of changes are completely random, making it impossible for me to find the latest changes to the project. When I list "Project History", everything looks fine because the dialog sorts in date order, but the "Select Changes to be Merged" sorts in version order, which is completely wrong. Any suggestions? The merge branches functionality is our main reason for wanting to use Vault and this problem makes it unusable for us. I've attached a screen shot to illustrate.
Attachments
Transactions1.jpg
"Select Changes to be Merged"
Transactions1.jpg (247.39 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

gdenning

RE: Project transactions out of order after import

Post by gdenning » Mon May 08, 2006 10:37 am

After looking into this again, it appears that what is going on is that the import functionality checks files in in this order:

<file A>
<file A version 1>
<file A version 2>
<file A version 3>
<etc>
<file B>
<file B version 1>
<file B version 2>
<file B version 3>
<etc>

As a result, the project transaction numbers are not in the order that the files were originally checked in, they are in the order that the import routine checked them in. So, I need either a SQL script to re-order the transaction versions based on check-in date, or a change to the "Merge Branches" wizard to sort transactions by date instead of by transaction version.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 08, 2006 12:35 pm

As you have seen, the way we do the import doesn't lend itself to dates and versions being in an intuitive order. I can log a feature request to take a look at the way dates appear in the Merge Branches Wizard for imported items.

Going forward, the dates for new items and versions will be in the proper order. In the meantime, trying to merge branches on imported items will get unexpected results. We don't recommend it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jsynoski

Post by jsynoski » Tue May 09, 2006 5:18 am

Linda,

Would a solution to this be to check all folder files files out and then check them in (Check In unchanged files option set to Check In)?

Would this get the version numbers to be "right"?

Jim
Jim Synoski
Regal Decision Systems
Fortress client is version 2.0.1.18729

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 09, 2006 7:27 am

Haven't tried this; it should increment the version and get the date right for this latest checkin.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager