2 Visual Studio, 2 Repositories

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Novades

2 Visual Studio, 2 Repositories

Post by Novades » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 am

Hi,

We have a specific case where we need to work on 2 repositories at the same time.

As advised we have 2 solutions (a solution can't include projects from different repositories - yet). So we load each of those solutions into a separate instance of VS. While it's a bit resource hungry to run 2 copies of VS it works sometimes and on some machines. When it works we can switch between each copy of VS and manage to work relatively well.

...the problem is it just works sometimes and recently less well than before.

For example now I had one copy of VS loaded using one repository and open another copy of VS at the same time and tried to make a new solution (using another repository). One project I was able to add from source control, however when I tried to add another project to the solution it was impossible to get to the correct repository. The login request popped up and I selected the correct profile (checking/saving the settings) it acceped the credentials, but then brought up the incorrect repository - not the one defined in the profile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:10 am

Generally, once you connect to a repository during a VS session, it will reconnect to the same one, so you have to exit VS and then re-enter it to connect to a different one. Hopefully this is only an issue when doing one time operations such as Open from Source Control or Add To Source Control.

Novades

Post by Novades » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:02 am

We tired variations of your suggestion without result. In fact we even had the case where 1 Visual Studio was loaded only (newly opened) and I was able to add 1 project fine and then repeatedly when trying to add the second project from source control it used another repository.

Probably some people would be overjoyed to be able to have one solution with projects from different repositories ;-) But sadly it took the one we didn't want.

There's clearly a bug as we turned off all the auto-login features and would select one repository and then immediately after the window pops up with another.

However for the moment we deleted the vault cache and it appears to be working correctly again.