How to switch between VSS & Vault in VS2003?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

frizzo

How to switch between VSS & Vault in VS2003?

Post by frizzo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Hello, my employer is in the process of moving a large repository with a lot of apps from vss to vault. Because there is a large number of dependencies (like build automation, etc...) the process is taking a while. Basically, we are moving one application at a time.

As a result, some of the applications I work on are in VSS and others in Vault. How can I make VS2003 work seamlessly in this environment. It seems that it always wants to open projects from Vault, unless I reset Vault not to be the default SCC provider, in which case it always wants to open things from VSS.

I guess, my question boils down to whether it is possible to configure source code providers on a project by project basis? Or is there another solution that I am not seeing?

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:05 pm

You can use Vault and VSS as source control providers, as long as each project is bound to either Vault or VSS.

If you want to work on a project with Vault integration, launch the Vault GUI Client and under Tools->Options->General, check "Make Vault my default scc provider." Then open Visual Studio and you should see Vault listed in the source control menus. To make sure the bindings are correct, do an open from source control into a clean working directory. This command is in VS.NET under File->Source Control->Open From Source Control. After the bindings are created, the you can open the project normally next time, and source control operations will be through Vault.

When you've completed working on your Vault project and want to work on a project in VSS, launch the Vault GUI client and uncheck the option to make Vault your default scc provider. Now VSS is your source control provider. Open from source control from VSS, following the same steps described above. This project is now bound to VSS.

There are also little apps available that allow you to switch between multiple scc providers through one GUI interface. Do a web search on "SCC Switcher," and you'll find some examples.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davidt

Post by davidt » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Just a request for clarification...

In VB6, I can have one project use Vault, and the next project use VSS. However, before opening the project using Vault, I have to use the GUI or an SCC switcher to make Vault the default provider; likewise with VSS. I do not have to close the project using Vault before switching to VSS and opening the VSS-connected project.

So my question is: Does VS 2003 work the same way, or does it store enough information in the project (or some other) file such that if the project was originally bound to Vault, VS connects to Vault even if the current default provider is VSS?

Does VS 2005 change any of this?

Thanks!
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:54 am

Binding information usually binds to a particular source control provider on a specific machine. So a project bound to VSS will still expect VSS integration even if Vault is your default scc provider, for example. I think this is the same for VS 2005.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager