Files Check-out, but they don't Check-in...

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:36 pm

DW 8, Vault client 3.1.9

In DW I've setup a new Site, in the Remote Info category (Advanced tab of Site Definition dialogue) I've selected the Access type: SourceGear Vault.

No Testing Server specified

Via the Files panel, I can view the contents of our repository, I can open files for editing in DW and they are checked-out of Vault quite nicely.

However, after making changes I try to Check-in the file, and can't. I've tried to Put the file, that doesn't work either.

The error message is quite helpful :roll:

"[PATH\FILE_NAME]- error occurred"
"File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed."
'File with errors: 1"
"[PATH\FILE_NAME]"

I can however, subsequently login via the Vault client and check-in these files successfully.

So, any idea what may be the problem? TIA.

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:57 pm

The error message does not help :). Could you post your log file. To create a log file

In the registry, go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Client\Dreamweaver

Next, create a new string value called "LogFile" with the path to a file that you
want created as a log file, such as c:\temp\dwlog.txt.

Restart DW8 and repeat the same steps as before.

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm

One logfile comin' up....
Attachments
vaultdw.log.txt
Vault-Dreamweaver Log
(292.2 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am

The log file does not contain any error messages. Can you specify, the exact steps leading to the error message. I tried the following, and it checked in without any errors.
Created a DW 8 site, with Remote server being Vault 3.1.9
Added the local files to Vault using Put command.
Then, clicked on "CheckOut" in Local View. In the "Dependent Files" message clicked on "Yes".
Modified the file, saved the changes
Chose "Checkin" option. In the "Dependent Files" message clicked on "Yes". In the Vault Check In comments dialog Clicked "Ok"

Is it the same steps?

Can you also specify the version of Vault_DWIDE.dll located in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia\8\SourceControl" folder.

And also we would like to take a look at VaultDWIDE log file. To create one do the following.
Create a copy of devenv.exe.config file in C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client.
Rename this file to Dreamweaver.exe.config
Make the following changes in Dreamweaver.exe.config
* Set value = "true" in "<add key="enableLogging" value="" />"
* Set value = "ide" in "<add key="classesToLog" value="" />"
* Add the following key
<add key="logFilePath" value="c:\temp\VaultdwIDElog.txt" />
Save the file
Restart DW8. Repeat the same steps. Please post the log file generated.

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:45 pm

Vault_DWIDE.dll version is 3.1.9.3798

That's almost the same steps, here's what I did.

1.) Create new DW site
a.) Local Info - Name TX, Local root folder: C:\temp\TX
b.) Remote Info - Access: SourceGear Vault (Version: 3.1.9.3798)
c.) All else default

2.) Edit the file
a.) Access Vault server via Files panel, Remote view
b.) Set Vault working folder (just clicked OK, settings were already set in DW Manage Sites option)
c.) Selected a file and chose Get from the context menu (the local folder was empty, so there were no files available)
d.) Navigated to the Local view and the afore-mentioned file (BTW: the file is R/O, the litle padlock icon is next to it)
e.) Chose Check Out from the context menu (chose Turn off Read Only first)
BTW: After checking out, the checkmark icon displayed is red, I've seen green, what does this checkmark indicated?
f.) Chose Check In from the context menu, failuer message displayed (see attached fault.txt)

So, what do you think, do I have reason to go crazy? :?
I've also attached a copy of today's log, vaultdw.txt

Thanks for your time and help.
Attachments
vaultdw.txt
Complete log
(118.47 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
fail.txt
Failure log
(261 Bytes) Downloaded 446 times

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:25 pm

I am sorry. I think I was not clear in my earlier post. The log file that you have attached(vaultdw.txt) in the above post, which was created after editing the registry, does not contain any helpful information. However there is "an other log file" which will contain the information that we are looking for (Vault Check In/ Check Out information.)

To create this log file do the following.
Create a copy of devenv.exe.config file in C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client.
Rename this file to Dreamweaver.exe.config
Make the following changes in Dreamweaver.exe.config
* Modify the value to "true" in "<add key="enableLogging" value="" />" so that it reads "<add key="enableLogging" value="true" />"
* Modify the value to "ide" in "<add key="classesToLog" value="" />"
* Add the following key
<add key="logFilePath" value="c:\temp\VaultdwIDElog.txt" />
Save the file
Restart DW8. Repeat the same steps.

And about
* "b.) Set Vault working folder (just clicked OK, settings were already set in DW Manage Sites option)."
Does the Local Working Folder in the "Set Working folder" dialog contain "C:\temp\TX" and is disabled or is it empty and enabled?
* "e.) Chose Check Out from the context menu (chose Turn off Read Only first)"
Is Turning off read only a requirement? Could you try the same steps but this time chose "Check Out" from context menu without choosing "Turm Of Read Only", and see if you are getting the same error when checking in.
* "BTW: After checking out, the checkmark icon displayed is red, I've seen green, what does this checkmark indicated?"
Red check mark means, that the file has been checked out by another user (or by the same user but in a different machine).

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:21 pm

No problem, I created the log file and attached it here.

I didn't quite understand your question regarding the Local Working Folder (the enabled/disabled part), so I attached an image of the dialogue just before I clicked Ok. I hope this answers your question.

As you recommended, I did NOT choose Turn off Read Only from the context menu this time.

Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
wrkdir.GIF
wrkdir.GIF (16.97 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
VaultdwIDElog.txt
(39.81 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 am

Can you tell me the CheckOut Location and the user who checked out the file "Power.template", by looking at the "Check Outs" column and "Check Out Location" column in Vault GUI client. The "Check Out Location" column can be added by choosing "Check Out location" option available in "Tools" menu -> sub menu "options" ->"Vault Options" dialog->File List columns.
When you choose "Check Out" option from the context menu of DW8, are you able to successfully check it out, resulting in a green tick mark next to the file, or is the color of the tick mark after check out red?

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:08 am

I sure can.

"Check Outs" col. reads: "Jeff (Exclusive)"
"Checkout Location" col. reads: C:\temp\xyz\Speed.template [jhill/mainoffice.maxpreps.com];

The tickmarks immediately preceding the file names are red (BTW: I've seen green, what does this tickmark indicate?).

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:01 pm

I think I am not quite following you. Ok, there are two scenario's. Let me know which is right.

Scenario 1:
You do a get of the file to the "Local View"
Once in the Local view, the file has a red tick mark.
Then you do a checkout. (Do you get a error message when doing this? for example "The file has already been checked out" or "file has been exclusively locked")
You edit the file
Then checkin this file

Scenario 2:
You do a get of the file to the "Local View"
Once in the Local view, the file has a read/write lock.
Then you do a checkout. (the file has a red tick mark.)
You edit the file
Then checkin this file.

The red tick mark, indicates that the file has already been checked out by another user( or by the same user but in different machine). In such a case a checkin from within the above DW site will be unsuccessful, displaying the error message that you see.

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 pm

Or else, we could do one thing. From within Vault GUI client, Select the file "Power.template"/ Speed.template" . Undo the checkout of the file. (Make sure that the file is not checked out by any other user.)
Create a new DW site say DW1, setting the local view to say c:\temp\TX_1
Remote View to Vault
Get Power.template/Speed.template to Local View. ( This file should have a R/W lock next to it)
Check Out this file. (Now the file should have a green tick mark- indicating that the file has been checked out to DW site DW1 - location c:\temp\TX_1\...\)
Modify this file
Try checking in.

Let us know if you still get the error message.

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:18 pm

OK, this is insane....

Now whenever I perform a Get against a file on the Vault server it brings it down to the respective folder designated in the DW Site Definition.

However, when I perform a Check Out against a file from the Remote View panel it places the file somewhere completely different. Do you want to guess where...?

C:\temp\xyz\...

Ya, that's right, the folder that had been used as the log file destinations, etc.

So, after all this I try to perform a Check In, the process fails because it can't find the darn file.

Do very many people use this plug-in with DW?
I'd sure like to be one of them, I'm sick and tired of generic editors and would love to be able to have our team use one that integrates the check-in/out capabilities with Vault, but this is too much.

If you've got any last ditch idea please let me know, and thanks for your time.

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Looks like from you post, there is a confusion about the working folder. We can get this right. The snapshot will give us a better idea. If this does not work, we may be able to remote assist.

Can you email to support@sourcegear.com, the snapshot picture of ..

First, Vault GUI client, with the file "Power.template" selected(please try to include the "checkout location" column in it along with "Check Outs" column)

Second, Vault GUI client, with the "$" selected, note down the "Working Folder" value (in upper right corner of the GUI window). And with file "Power.template" selected, note down the "Working Folder"value

Third, "Local Info" category of the Advanced tab in Dreamweaver's Manage Site Definition Dialog. (showing the Local Root Folder value)

Fourth, Dreamweaver's Local View with file "Power.template" selected (showing the entire Site's local path)

Fifth, Dreamweaver's Remote View with file "Power.template" selected

For the above snapshots, please use the DW site that you created in the above post.

hafsa

Post by hafsa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 pm

MPJeff wrote:
Now whenever I perform a Get against a file on the Vault server it brings it down to the respective folder designated in the DW Site Definition.

So a Get against a file on Remote View does dowload the file to the correct local folder.
Are you able to checkout this file from local folder (by choosing check out option on the file in Local View), make changes to the file in local folder(Dreamweaver's local view), and check in the file from within local view(by choosing check in option on the file in Local View)?

MPJeff

Post by MPJeff » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm

The Vault working folder wouldn't let go of the previous value (i.e., ...\xyz); however, a reboot seems to cleared it out.

The file is downloaded from Vault to the expected location, and when checking out the file it does NOT get moved, it remains in the folder it's downloaded to.

Of course the rest of the problem continues.

Do you still want the screen shots? Ah, I'll send 'em to you anyhow. Please let me know what you'd like next :)

Jeff