Error Adding File to Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TRaymond

Error Adding File to Vault

Post by TRaymond » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:03 pm

I am getting the following error upon adding a file to Vault. This occurs when I use the Vault GUI or if I use the Visual Studio IDE. And it only occurs when checking in this one file. It's just a XML document, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I have other simular files (same extension and simular content) checked into this same repository with no problems.

I've attached the document for your trials as well. The file is a SQL Server SSIS Package, but is basically an XML File. I've renamed the file to .txt so you can get the file...just rename it to .dtsx.

Vault Server and client are 3.1.9

Thanks in advance!

TRaymond

[9/17/2006 5:50:46 PM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[9/17/2006 5:50:46 PM] Beginning transaction
[9/17/2006 5:50:46 PM] Add $/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/Foamex Post Check Payments.dtsx
[9/17/2006 5:50:46 PM] Upload for item $/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/Foamex Post Check Payments.dtsx failed, retrying...
[9/17/2006 5:50:46 PM] Upload for item $/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/Foamex Post Check Payments.dtsx failed, retrying...
[9/17/2006 5:50:47 PM] Upload for item $/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/Foamex Post Check Payments.dtsx failed, retrying...
[9/17/2006 5:50:47 PM] Upload for item $/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/SSIS Packages/Foamex Post Check Payments.dtsx failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[9/17/2006 5:50:47 PM] Ending the transaction
[9/17/2006 5:50:47 PM] Transaction failed
[9/17/2006 5:50:47 PM] Transaction failed
Attachments
Post Check Payments.txt
(83.76 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:21 pm

I had no problem uploading the file, to two different Vault Servers.

We've had a few other reports like this and in some cases we have not been able to determine why the upload fails.

Can you upload the file from a Vault Client on the Vault Server machine, using "localhost" for the Vault Server name?

If you check "Use chunked encoding" in Vault Client Tools->Options->Network Settings, does that allow the file to be uploaded?

Is there any error in the Vault Server log (sgvault.log in %windir%\temp\sgvault) that corresponds to the upload errors?

If you edit the file -- remove some of the contents -- does it upload?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TRaymond

Post by TRaymond » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:09 am

Adding the File to the Vault Server directly works great. But from my laptop to the vault server using either the Vault Client or the VS IDE plug in, it does not work.

By the way, localhost for the servername would not work... I had to use the name: "itapps.*****.com" in order to log in to the vault client. So I'm not sure why it works from the server, but not my machine.

Any ideas? Keep in mind, that it's not all files...just some..(I've run into 2 files out of 10 on this project).

Thanks in advance.

TRaymond

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 pm

"Localhost" means the machine you are on. It is a way to communicate directly with your machine without going over the network. If you're trying to connect to your server this way, it will only work if the Vault GUI Client is on the server machine itself.

Since you can upload files fine on the server machine itself, this points to a network issue or to software on you client machine. It could be that a firewall, proxy, router, or anti-virus software is interfereing somehow with the transfer of the file from your client machine to the server machine.

We can enable more logging to see if there are any useful errors.

Put the Vault Server log into debug mode (Vault Admin Tool->Server options->Logging.)

To enable client-side logging, open the Vault GUI Client and hold down the following keys on your keyboard:

Code: Select all

Control Alt Shift F12   
The log will be created in your user's temp directory, %temp%. Be default, all classes will be logged.

Reproduce the upload error, then send me copies of the Vault server log (sgvault.log in %windir%\temp\sgvault) and the client log.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

TRaymond

We figured it out!!!

Post by TRaymond » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:22 pm

We figured it out.

If we uncheck "use chunked encoding" under the Tools/Options it seems to work. In both the IDE and the Vault Client

prevoj

This does appear to be a bug in Vault 3.5.1

Post by prevoj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:10 pm

We turned on chunking so that we can upload a couple large files. Once we have chunked encoding on, every now and then small commits hang forever. We turned off the chunked encoding and all the hangs went away. So there definitely appears in be a bug in chunked encoding somewhere.
Joe

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:28 pm

There's always the possibility of a bug. However some network devices don't support chunked encoding, so it could be something on the network that's having an issue with an upload. Here's some background on chunked encoding:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=78
Linda Bauer
SourceGear