When I do show difference I can't edit the checked out file.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

adje

When I do show difference I can't edit the checked out file.

Post by adje » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:34 am

Hi,

I check out a file and then I choose 'Show Differences'. Here I select 'Any local folder/file. I get the DiffMerge application with on the left the file I selected, and on the right my working version of the file.

Although the file is checked out and writable, it is shown as read-only and when I click on any changes on the left to insert them in the right pane, I get the error 'Target is Read-only'.

What am I doing wrong?

When I choose from the file menu 'Open new file diff (2-way)' and choose the same files, then it works ok and I actually can make changes.

Is this behaviour correct? It is not at all clear to me.

Thanks in advance,
Adje

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 am

By default, the Diff/Merge arguments in the Vault GUI Client set the file views to read only. (Look und Tools->Options->Diff/Merge->Diff->Arguments. You'll see the /ro1 and /ro2 arguments that make the files read-only.)

To change this remove these arguments. Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2670

I think the reason you can edit the files when you do a "New" diff is that when Diff is called from the Vault GUI Client, it uses the read-only arguments. But when you evoke a new Diff, this is straight from the Diff tool, and doesn't use the GUI Client arguments.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

adje

Post by adje » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:38 am

that's it, thanks very much