branching modules in vb6

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lduresky

branching modules in vb6

Post by lduresky » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I am using visual basic 6 with sourcegear vault. We have a main trunk. I would like to branch from this trunk for individual changes, then merge back to the main trunk once the change is complete and tested. I only want to branch the specific modules within the project that I am changing for this fix. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this. My thinking was, I could create the branch within the vault client. Then point the IDE to this particular branch file for pulling down to my original file structure on my development machine. Can this be done? We are using version 3.1.8(3771).

Thanks,

Laurie

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:41 pm

You would use the Vault GUI Client to branch the the specific module(s). Then, open the branched module from source control, using VB 6 and the command Tools->SourceGear Vault->Create Project from SourceGear Vault. Make your modifications to the module.

Then go back to the Vault GUI Client and use the Merge Branches command to merge the branched module back into the trunk module.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lduresky

Post by lduresky » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Thanks. I have a follow up question for you...

When I perform these steps, I get a dialog box pop-up with the following message: "There is no makefile associated with this project, unable to create a Visual Basic project from this SourceGear Vault project."

My assumption here is that the directory structure no longer matches the structure within the VB6 makefiles... I'm only wanting to branch a single file, not a whole project. I'm thinking that I need to do the branching in the client, then somehow disassociate this file with VB6, so that I can reassociate it with the file on the branch. Then, within VB6, the directory structure will still match the make structure, but the file will be associated with the branched file within the SourceGear client... But I'm not sure how to disassociate the file in VB6 from the main branch file within SourceGear Vault!

davidt

Post by davidt » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 pm

VB6 doesn't support what you want to do here. It assumes that all files in a project under source control are in the same folder.

About the closest you can get, I think, would be to:
- Branch a file
- Check out the project file
- In VB6, remove the trunk file from the project and add the branch file (which is in a different folder)
- Check in the project file

At this point, you have a project with all the files you want. However, the one branched file is not under source control.

What we do is branch the entire project. The overhead in Vault is extremely minimal - Vault doesn't make new copies of all those "other" files until you actually change one and check it in.

Regards,
David Thompson
JELD-WEN, inc.