Can't check in a file

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Neil Weicher

Can't check in a file

Post by Neil Weicher » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:19 pm

When attempting to check in a specific file; vault is giving this message:

[2/19/2007 2:43:31 PM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[2/19/2007 2:43:31 PM] Beginning transaction
[2/19/2007 2:43:32 PM] Check in $/Web/Support/Support Wizard/Source /SupportWizard.sf7
[2/19/2007 2:43:33 PM] Upload for item $/Web/Support/Support Wizard/Source /SupportWizard.sf7 failed, retrying...
[2/19/2007 2:43:34 PM] Upload for item $/Web/Support/Support Wizard/Source /SupportWizard.sf7 failed, retrying...
[2/19/2007 2:43:35 PM] Upload for item $/Web/Support/Support Wizard/Source /SupportWizard.sf7 failed, retrying...
[2/19/2007 2:43:35 PM] Ending the transaction
[2/19/2007 2:43:35 PM] Upload for item $/Web/Support/Support Wizard/Source /SupportWizard.sf7 failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum"
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[2/19/2007 2:43:36 PM] Transaction failed
[2/19/2007 2:43:36 PM] Transaction failed

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 am

Are you using the Vault GUI or some other IDE such as Visual Studio?

Are any other clients having problems?

Are any other files not able to check in? If you haven't tried with others, please give it a try of checking out, making a change, and checking it back in.

Neil Weicher

Post by Neil Weicher » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 am

Beth wrote:Are you using the Vault GUI or some other IDE such as Visual Studio?
The Vault GUI Client
Beth wrote:Are any other clients having problems?
no
Beth wrote:Are any other files not able to check in? If you haven't tried with others, please give it a try of checking out, making a change, and checking it back in.
Sorry I wasn't clearer -- all other files can be checked in fine -- it is just this one file. I have even tried undoing the check out; reverting the file back to the same in vault -- rechecking it out; editing it & checking it back in -- the same error happens.

Other files check in fine.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 am

What kind of file is it?

What is the size of the file?

Neil Weicher

Post by Neil Weicher » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:00 am

Beth wrote:What kind of file is it?
it's basically an xml file
Beth wrote:What is the size of the file?
117,079 bytes

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 am

The things I'm thinking this might be either involve the network or the cache, so I'm going to have you try two different things.

For the first one, can you try Chunked Encoding? That can be set by going to Tools - Options - Networking. Set it to the opposite of whatever it is now and try checking in that file. If that doesn't work, then change the setting back to what it was.

Is there any chance that file has a Needs Merge status on it? Or what kind of status does it have?

Neil Weicher

Post by Neil Weicher » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:23 am

Beth wrote:The things I'm thinking this might be either involve the network or the cache, so I'm going to have you try two different things.
Since all other files check in fine, I am having a hard time undersetanding how the network can be to blame.
Beth wrote:For the first one, can you try Chunked Encoding? That can be set by going to Tools - Options - Networking. Set it to the opposite of whatever it is now and try checking in that file. If that doesn't work, then change the setting back to what it was.
it didnt' help, same error; which I suspected would happen, since chunked is for low memory -- plenty of memory here & this is a small file -- smaller & MUCH larger files checkin just fine.
Beth wrote:Is there any chance that file has a Needs Merge status on it? Or what kind of status does it have?
"Edited"

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:59 am

Can you go ahead and send me a Vault Server Log? That would go to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) and just add a link to this post. That log will give me a better idea I think of what's going on.

While I'm reviewing that, something could be out of sync with your Client Side Cache. You could try deleting _sgvault. When reopened, Vault should rebuild that set of baselines.

Neil Weicher

Post by Neil Weicher » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 am

Beth wrote:Can you go ahead and send me a Vault Server Log? That would go to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) and just add a link to this post. That log will give me a better idea I think of what's going on.

OK -- I've asked for the log file to be sent to me.
Beth wrote:While I'm reviewing that, something could be out of sync with your Client Side Cache. You could try deleting _sgvault. When reopened, Vault should rebuild that set of baselines.
That seemed to do it -- but gave a scary warning about loosing data when I selected "resolve merge status"

Thanks

JimFr

Post by JimFr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:08 pm

I got the exact same error message just now using client GUI 3.5.1. Tried repeatedly, including restarting vault cleint, but keep getting the same error. Other files in the change set go in ok, but not this file. All are small source code (plain text) files.

Re your sugestion to delete the local cache dir, does that mean I'll lose baseline version information of checkouts, so if merging on checkin it won't know which baseline I used and the merge will be invalid?

I'm reluctant to rebuild the cache, as it is 2.4 GB 33,000 files over a WAN.