Nested Solutions in Visual Studio .NET 2003

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

texasbecker

Nested Solutions in Visual Studio .NET 2003

Post by texasbecker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:03 am

We are evaluating Vault as a successor to the barely supported VSS. Using Visual Studio .NET, we have developed a fairly complex project structure. It consists of a "top level" solution, containing only a build batch file and a few other things. For discussion purposes, let's say it resides in C:\Solution1.

Underneath this, the "child" solutions live, such as C:\Solution1\Child1, C:\Solution1\Child2, etc. There are sometimes several levels of depth. Each has its own .sln and .??proj files, and all are in VSS as discrete "projects".

The routine for beginning development is to do Open From Source Control in Visual Studio, and pull down C:\Solution1. Then, =outside= of Visual Studio, we use VSS and do a recursive Get Latest on the very same directory. From C:\Solution1 we can then run the build batch file, which is aware of the subdirectory tree and knows how to build all the solutions.

This all works fine using VSS (or SOS, for that matter). When I tried this with Vault, it wanted to check out every sub-solution for the purposes of assigning a new project GUID. With 114 sub-solutions and a dozen or so developers, I can tell you that this would be very laborious and time consuming.

Any ideas why this works okay using VSS, but not with Vault?

Best Regards,

Andy
Last edited by texasbecker on Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Vault requires that in order to use IDE integration for a solution for a particular user that they first do an Open From Source Control from within the IDE. Usually this isn't a problem, since it is just one solution. After that, a Get from any Vault client will work fine.

It is possible to make the GUI client "IDE aware", such that a Get from the GUI client would automatically create IDE-specific files that are required in order to use a solution without having to do an Open From Source Control first. However, that will be in a later release, so won't help you immediately.

Is it possible that you only have to check out the solution files for the first user, and all the other users would work with an Open From Source Control? I'm not sure we have a good answer for you, given that you have so many solution files. I think it would work fine if they were project files...

texasbecker

Post by texasbecker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:17 pm

dan wrote:Is it possible that you only have to check out the solution files for the first user, and all the other users would work with an Open From Source Control? I'm not sure we have a good answer for you, given that you have so many solution files. I think it would work fine if they were project files...
Great question. Now that I have a bona fide license (read: more than one user!) I will test this out. It will be a bit over a week before I get back to you, though. Some long overdue time off. :)

Best Regards,

Andy

bsapd

It did work as expected on my second try...

Post by bsapd » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:00 am

Thanks! So far so good...

We will by purchasing 30 licenses if this trial goes well.
Brian S. Estep