Vault 4 Client doesn't launch

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

neal007

Vault 4 Client doesn't launch

Post by neal007 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:03 am

I sure hope you all working this weekend otherwise I think it is WAY wrong to drop a major release and not be around to support it.

I backed everything up then I installed the server, I could never get to the web login so I uninstalled everything and reinstalled, finally got access to the web admin which you have to do via Default.aspx and not directly by Login.aspx otherwise you'll get a 404 error.

I then installed the Vault client on my Vista x64 Ultimate machine (UAC disabled). As soon as you double-click the icon you get the "stop working" error and you are SOL!

I was beta testing another product recently and they found a problem with an incorrectly written .manifest file. So I decided to rename VaultGUIClient.exe.manifest to VaultGUIClient.exe.manifest.OLD and sure enough, Vault Client 4 now runs!

FYI to those that may have this problem, rename the manifest file, it is apparently incorrect for Vista users!

I am unimpressed with the apparent testing or lack thereof (QA) from what I have seen in the installation experience of Vault 4. VMWorkstation, Virtual PC, whatever, this should NOT have occurred with proper quality assurance procedures.

neal007

Post by neal007 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:06 am

I read your manifest file, I'm assuming it's the X86 and win32 references which are probably incorrect for x64 systems. I highly recommend testing against Vista x64, in my opinion we are going to find many more x64 users now in Vista land and the more common 64-bit processors now in most new computers.

Beth

Post by Beth » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:19 am

Let's start from the beginning here. Can you tell me the details of your installation? Did you place IIS into 32-bit mode?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:18 am

Sorry to hear about your initial issues setting up Vault 4.0. Glad you got the Client to launch and thanks for the information about the manifest file.

For those who are reading this who want to know how to get to the Admin tool, in Vault 4.0 you can go to the URL http://<servername>/vaultservice/Admin or https://<servername>/vaultservice/Admin or http://<servername>/vaultservice/vaultweb/login.aspx (or https: depending on your setup).

It looks like the link on the Vault Server home page (located at http://<servername>/vaultservice) uses http: and this will not work if the server is only enabled for secure access.

Let us know if you encounter any further difficulties.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

neal007

Post by neal007 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:59 pm

It also assumes/assumed "localhost" which was not the case for my installation.

neal007

Post by neal007 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Installed on our production server, same problem, admin site gives a 404 error, I had to uninstall/reinstall to resolve.

I'm also shocked that when I login to the admin it says I need an upgrade license, I have Gold Support, why wasn't I sent an e-mail PRIOR to the release of v4 with my license codes for uninterrupted use? How do we get our free upgrades for Gold Support plans?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Neal,

I'd like to know exactly what URL got a 404 when you installed.

The server installer will always try to pop up a URL like this

http://localhost/VaultService/VaultWeb/ ... cense.aspx

The two most likely places for that to fail are the http and localhost. Which one failed in your case?

asills

VaultGuiClient.exe fails on startup

Post by asills » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:16 pm

64 bit Vista machine (RTM, up to date patched, etc), Vault GUI client fails to launch (no server install, just the client on this machine). This info is similar to the original poster's problem: "As soon as you double-click the icon you get the "stop working" error and you are SOL!"

Below are some details I got out of the .NET debugger:

Call stack:
> mscorlib.dll!System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.SerializationInvoke(object target, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext context) + 0x1a0 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(object obj, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext context) + 0x12c bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectHolder holder) + 0xbc bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups() + 0x95 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler, System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser serParser, bool fCheck, bool isCrossAppDomain, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage = null) + 0x254 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler, bool fCheck, bool isCrossAppDomain, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage) + 0x154 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(int typeIndex) + 0xa3 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(int pos, out System.Resources.ResourceTypeCode typeCode) + 0x4b2 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject(string key = "imageListToolbar.ImageStream", bool ignoreCase = false, bool isString) + 0x1e6 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(string name, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, bool wrapUnmanagedMemStream) + 0x69 bytes
VaultGUIClient.exe!VaultGUIClient.FormMain.InitializeComponent() + 0x5a3e bytes
VaultGUIClient.exe!VaultGUIClient.FormMain.FormMain(ref VaultGUIClient.FormSplash frmSplash = {VaultGUIClient.FormSplash, Text: }) + 0x223 bytes
VaultGUIClient.exe!VaultGUIClient.VaultGUIClientMain.Main() + 0x10c bytes

Exception:
- $exception {"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."} System.Exception {System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException}

+ InnerException {"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"} System.Exception {System.BadImageFormatException}

Installer Details:
Your MSI installs data into the 32 bit portion of the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceGear). And the default behavior of .NET 2.0 is to run in 64 bit mode unless told otherwise (through the compiler). This causes a disconnect obviously when the 64 bit app tries to read out of the registry but it's not in the expected location. I thought this might be the cause of the initial crash (pre-debugger) and moved the registry keys manually into the expected location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceGear) but that didn't fix it (I've seen that simple change fix other .NET apps).

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 am

A fix has been written for this for Vault 4.0.1 due out this week.

BradleyUffner

Post by BradleyUffner » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks for the workaround for Vista x64. This also seems to affect 64-bit XP also. I also had the 404 error on the admin tool mentioned, I had to change localhost to my server's IP address. Everything seems to be working fin now.