Upgrading from MSSCCI client to VS 2005 in 4.0

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mtanderson

Upgrading from MSSCCI client to VS 2005 in 4.0

Post by mtanderson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:24 am

Can someone point out some documentation on how to upgrade a VS project from the MSSCCI client to VS2005 client in 4.0? I've dug through the help and this forum and haven't been able to find anything.

So far the only way I've been able to do it is to open the project file in a text editor and remove all of the SCC references and re-binding the project. I'm hoping there is a more elegant solution than this.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:50 am

Sure, look at:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7937

for detailed instructions.

mtanderson

Post by mtanderson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:52 am

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

nemoby

MSSCCI Client to VS2005 Client

Post by nemoby » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:56 am

I ran this utility and it works fine, but we have a few solutions / projects under source control that are being worked on by a large number of people. Can different people use different flavors of the client (MSSCCI vs VS2005 Clinet)?

I guess it comes down to whether the binding information is stored locally or both locally and under source control on the server?

I ask because some of our users are infrequent and remote. Getting everyone to upgrade using this utility at the same time will be difficult.

Home my question makes sense.

Thanks,

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 am

Unfortunately there is no way to have some users on the MSSCCI/2003-compatible client, and others on the VSIP/2005 client. I understand that this poses some logistical challenges and it's something we did explore. Unfortunately Visual Studio's architecture ties our hands here. There's effectively no way to "share" the binding information in solution/project files, so everybody needs to move at once.

However not everyone needs to use the migration utility. One user can do the update and check in the changes. The other users can simply get latest (using the stand-alone client) the next time they connect. They can then just open the solution from disk and work using the new client.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:19 am

Understand. Good solution using "Get latest". Is there any doc that shows the differences betweent he two clients? Time to convince the team to upgrade.

Thanks,