Can not install Vault, Access Denied error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gpesti

Can not install Vault, Access Denied error

Post by gpesti » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:30 am

Hi,

I have just downloaded Vault to give it a try. Server installation went fine, but I am not able to install the client. An "Access Denied" dialog is displayed and the install rolls back. The MSI log shows the followings:

Executing op: ActionStart(Name=AddVsipKeys,Description=Configuring VS.NET IDE. This may take a long time. Don't cancel.,)

Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=AddVsipKeys,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe,Target=-I,)

Note: 1: 1722 2: AddVsipKeys 3: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe 4: -I

DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog

Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog

Product: SourceGear Vault Client -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action AddVsipKeys, location: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe, command: -I

Vault client install log:
Loading Client Custom Actions
Adding registry keys for VSIP integration...
Getting the VS2005 Path
VS2005 path is: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
Installing Vsip Registry Keys
Looking for program install directory
Install Directory is:C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Adding Code Base Value
Adding Code Base Value
Running Devenv /setup
Checking for Windows Vista...
Devenv setup failed: Access is denied

Machine: XP SP2 English
.NET Framework 3.0
MSVC6, VS2003, VS2005TeamEdition (service packs installed for each)
SourceSafe 6.0+servicepacks

I do not mind if have to live without the VS integration (BTW: this could be an install option), but I would like to give Vault a try, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Gabor

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:18 am

Vault doesn't support the 3.0 .Net Framework. Do you have the 2.0
Framework on that machine?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gpesti

Post by gpesti » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 am

Hi,

Yes, v1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 of the .NET Framework are installed on the machine.

Thanks,
Gabor

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am

The client custom actions should work as long as you have the 2.0 framework installed. I am not sure why they aren't working for you.
For some reason the installer can't run devenv /setup to register the VS2005 IDE stuff.

Make sure you do not have Visual Studio open when you are installing the client.

What value do you have for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\InstallDir in your registry?

Verify that the SYSTEM account and the user you are logged in as has full control permissions to the folder where devenv.exe is located (note - the path to devenv.exe should match the registry value above).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

LogicalRyan

Same error

Post by LogicalRyan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm getting the same error, here's the log from msiexec

=== Logging started: 8/22/2007 9:02:44 ===
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action AddVsipKeys, location: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe, command: -I
=== Logging stopped: 8/22/2007 9:03:42 ===

.NET 1.1 and 2.0 are installed, the registry key is pointing to the correct folder for the VS2005 install, the SYSTEM process which is running the msiexec has full control over that folder, Visual Studio is not running.

I got past this error once before when installing 4.0.2, but I can't seem to remember how I did it.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:25 am

What OS are you installing on?

Are you installing the latest version of the Client (4.0.4)?

There should be a Vault Client installer (vault_client_install.log) log in your %temp% directory. Can you post the contents of the log or send it to me (using the email button at the bottom of the message)?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

LogicalRyan

Install problems

Post by LogicalRyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:10 am

Installing on XP, yes, its the 4.0.4 client, and the error log is attached.
Attachments
errors.txt
(774 Bytes) Downloaded 402 times

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:26 am

That doesn't look like the right log file.

Is there a file called vault_client_install.log in your user temp directory? That is the log file I need.

Does the System account have full access to your temp directory (%temp%)?

Are you logged in as an Admin or a user with Admin priveldges? If not, try that. Basically the client custom actions need to enter some values in the Visual Studio 8.0 part of the Registry (hklm/software/Microsoft/VisualStudio/8.0) and run Devenv.exe to register it. I am not sure where you are getting the access denied. That is where the log file may help.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

LogicalRyan

Log file

Post by LogicalRyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 am

Sorry, log file attached.

The SYSTEM account has full access to the temp folder, and I gave the SYSTEM user full control over the Visual Studio folder also but it didn't seem to have any effect. The logged in user is an admin.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:33 am

It doesn't look like the log file was attached.

You can email me directly using the button at the bottom of the post (just paste the log file info in the email...I don't think the email button allows attachments)
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

griverview

Post by griverview » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 am

I got exactly the same problem. here is the log:
Log started at 19 Jun 2008 - 09.13.37

Loading Client Custom Actions
Adding registry keys for VSIP integration...
Getting the VS2005 Path
Getting the VS2008 Path
VS2005 path is: F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
VS2008 path is: F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\
Installing Vsip Registry Keys
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\FortressConnectionRegistry.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{62D7AF8C-D6FB-4a5f-84AC-5B397D72C1C3} FortressConnectionService.dll
Adding Code Base Value
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VaultVsipRegistry.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D} VaultVsipClient.dll
Adding Code Base Value
Running Devenv /setup
Checking for Windows Vista...
Devenv setup failed: Access is denied

SYSTEM does have full control over F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ and devenv.exe

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jason

mskrobul wrote:That doesn't look like the right log file.

Is there a file called vault_client_install.log in your user temp directory? That is the log file I need.

Does the System account have full access to your temp directory (%temp%)?

Are you logged in as an Admin or a user with Admin priveldges? If not, try that. Basically the client custom actions need to enter some values in the Visual Studio 8.0 part of the Registry (hklm/software/Microsoft/VisualStudio/8.0) and run Devenv.exe to register it. I am not sure where you are getting the access denied. That is where the log file may help.

griverview

Post by griverview » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 am

I tried to install an old version (3.5.3) of Vault on this machine and succeeded. Only 4.1.2 causes the "Access is denied" error.

I installed 4.1.2 client on several other machines w/o any problems.

Anyone could help? Thanks a lot.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am

Sorry for the delay in responding, I just got back into the office today.

By any chance is the 3.5 framework installed on the machine that is giving you problems?

Verify that "Administrator", the user you are logged in as and SYSTEM have full access to your %appdata%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA directory.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

griverview

Post by griverview » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:19 am

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response.

I removed .net framework 3.5 and tried installing again, got the same error.

I double checked. Both administrator and SYSTEM have full access to %appdata%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA directory.

Jason
mskrobul wrote:Sorry for the delay in responding, I just got back into the office today.

By any chance is the 3.5 framework installed on the machine that is giving you problems?

Verify that "Administrator", the user you are logged in as and SYSTEM have full access to your %appdata%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA directory.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Try re-installing the 2.0 framework on that machine just encase something got messed up with the .NET framework 3.5 install/uninstall then try the client installer again.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear