Without a label, what are my options for getting by date?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jboy

Without a label, what are my options for getting by date?

Post by jboy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Ok, so it turns out that one of my developers neglected to insert a label when we released one of our projects over 6 months ago and now we're faced with a massive regression test exercise because we can't just make one surgical fix.

Is there any way (even a hacky kind of way) of inserting a label into a branch at a specified point in time?

I figure someone with insider knowledge of the Vault database schema could provide a "sans-warranty" solution to try.

At this stage I'd rather backup the repository and attempt a Vault hack than go through a month of regression testing.

Any and all suggestions warmly appreciated.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 am

You can apply a label at a point in the history. Take a look at both the regular history display (filtered by date) to see if you can identify the folder version that has what you released. You can also select the option to display folder history by version to just get all version numbers of the top level folder and identify it from there.

If the history you are looking for is prior to the branch occurring, then look back to the trunk to find the version released.

Even if you identify one that is the closest, you can place a label at that point and adjust it if there is a file or two that isn't quite right by using label promotion.

jboy

Post by jboy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:22 pm

I'll be damned if a label is getting a promotion before I do!! ;)

Wow! A whole new section of Vault I could never find ("display folder history by version").

Thanks