Vault Client for Visual Studio 2008 (Beta)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

brentbordelon

VSIP Client Availability?

Post by brentbordelon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 am

Any date on the release of the 2008 VSIP client? I certainly hope that at the latest we're talking the same day as VS2008 releases?

I've committed our team to using SourceGear Vault, and while we typically don't use 3rd party products, I was thoroughly impressed enough with this one to convince everyone here that SGV was a good choice. However, having to wait for a third party product to "catch up" with the product it partners with (in this case, Visual Studio 2008) doesn't instill that warm fuzzy feeling that comes with knowing you've made a good choice.

I really don't want egg on my face, but if we switch to VS2008 as soon as it comes out (which we are - we've been testing it for a while) but then have to use the compatible client, I'm afraid I will.

It might not be so bad if the compatible client weren't named "2003 compatible client", which smacks of "old" to the less technical folks that I answer to.

jclausius

Re: VSIP Client Availability?

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:09 am

brentbordelon wrote:Any date on the release of the 2008 VSIP client? I certainly hope that at the latest we're talking the same day as VS2008 releases?
That is the current schedule. The Beta will be out shortly, and should also contain the registry adjustments needed to configure Vault's VSIP client with VS 2008.
brentbordelon wrote:It might not be so bad if the compatible client weren't named "2003 compatible client", which smacks of "old" to the less technical folks that I answer to.
The moniker is unfortunate. The MSSCCI based client is not "old" by any means and enhancements will be made to that in upcoming Vault releases. We're currently examining what name changes make sense for each type of IDE client and welcome any suggestions users may have.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

brentbordelon

Post by brentbordelon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:12 am

My first suggestion would be to use the word "enhanced" to indicate the VSIP client, and "standard" to indicate the MSSCCI one.

Example:
SourceGear Standard Client
SourceGear Enhanced Client

...but, that might encourage people to use the standard (compatible) one.

My next suggestion would be to use the word "standard" to indicate the VSIP client, and "compatible" to indicate the MSSCCI one.

Example:
SourceGear Standard Client
SourceGear Compatible Client

Just my suggestions, since you asked :)

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am

We have varying internal viewpoints on this, so the name choices vary. What we want is to make sure any name change avoids confusion. However, with the lack of a "more info" button within Visual Studio, I'm sure we'll have questions on this no matter what the name.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions. We'll add them to the discussion.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

neal007

Post by neal007 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 pm

Good grief - why not just call it "Vault MSSCCI Client" and "Vault Advanced Client"?

The key one is "Vault MSSCCI Client" - it just makes sense to me! The other one is up to you.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
http://www.nc-software.com

Vault 5.1.2
VS 2010/C#
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VB.NET Forums: http://www.vbdotnetforums.com

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm

That is also on the table, but it seems there is a large group of people who do not understand what those two acronyms (MSSCCI and VSIP) actually mean and what type of client features would be available.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

neal007

Post by neal007 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm sure you all will figure something out. But as you know "Vault 2003..." very much concerns me for a setting in VS 2005/2008.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
http://www.nc-software.com

Vault 5.1.2
VS 2010/C#
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VB.NET Forums: http://www.vbdotnetforums.com

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Understood.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear