What's the difference between Open From Vault & normal o

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

matt_stephens

What's the difference between Open From Vault & normal o

Post by matt_stephens » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 am

In Vault 4.1 what is the difference between using the File|Open From Vault menu and the File|Open>Project/Solution... menu?
We are currently using Vault 3.5 with the MSSCCI integration with VS2005 and have found it really nice to be able to simply open the project or solution while we are working on things but then use the Open From Source Control menu when we want to synchronise our machines with the latest changes in the repository.

I'm playing with Vault4.1 with VS2008 and the Visual Studio 2005 Client and am finding that once i've used the Open From Vault command to pull in all the solution files, if i then delete some source files from the file system and do the same thing again i am not getting those files synchronised from the repository.

I then tried setting the 'Get everything when opening a solution' checkbox in the Integration settings dialog but found that this gets latest whether you open directly from the file system or from vault. Ideally when i open a solution when i'm working on something i'd rather not automatically pull in other peoples changes. Then when i'm finished and want to synchronise with all the latest code i'd like the Open From Vault to make sure i have all the latest files referenced from all projects in the solution.

Is this possible?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 am

File|Open From Vault retrieves files from the repository in order to open a solution, but it does not update existing files. The idea being that there's a solution/project in the repository (but not on disk) that you want to open.

File|Open|Project/Solution simply opens from disk.

The way to do what you want is to use "Get Latest" when you want to synchronize.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

matt_stephens

Post by matt_stephens » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:27 am

That makes perfect sense, i was just comparing what i am used to with the 3.5 version and VS2005 integration.

How much has changed between the 4.06 release and the 4.1 beta in terms of how projects and solutions are handled? The reason we never made the shift from 3.5 to 4 was because of some warnings about how the latest visual studio integration client handled projects where the solution was not under source control.

From what i have seen of 4.1 with our layout of projects and solutions it seems fine and if little has changed then i'd be tempted to move to 4.06 on our server initially and then make the changes we need to make to our codebase for VS2008 and run the 4.1beta client. Does that sound like a sensible thing to do? And any idea on the final release date for 4.1 yet?

Thanks

Matt

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am

In terms of handling unbound solutions sanely, there's very little difference between 4.1 and 4.0.6. The big improvements for that scenario first shipped with 4.0.5 and are in both the 4.0.x and 4.1 branches at this point.

There will be a second beta release of 4.1 early next year. The final release to be no earlier than February.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear