Vault 3.5.2 to 4.0.6 conversion

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Vault 3.5.2 to 4.0.6 conversion

Post by Don Thimsen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 pm

We did an upgrade yesterday. The server is Win2K, and clients are a various levels, but mostly WinXP SP2. We ran into a few anomolies and one problem with the upgrade.

1) Renaming. We have pretty strict conventions on file names, with some being case sensitive. Rename now complains about the file already existing if we try to rename to fix a case problem (ie. ABC1234.ASM to ABC1234.asm). I don't think the vault client had a problem doing this in the 3.5.2 release.

2) Icons in the tree menu. If the user has the vault showsplash screen disabled using the registry mod, none of the icons are visable in the tree menu.

3) We had to put in a call to Sourcegear about shadow folder support. First off, all the shadow folder assocaitions where lost during the upgrade. So I had to go into the new Admin application and redefine them. There isn't an explorer button like the previous interface had to find the directories you want to shadow, so I manually entered each project and directory. However, I did not match the case for the repository project names, and shadow folders did not work. In the current release (4.0.6) the case must match exactly. When it doesn't, the shadow folder log file shows lots of errors:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Fortunately, the technical support staff sorted this out pretty quickly, and I redefined the shadow folder associations to use exact case information for the names. Shadow folders are now working. Tech support said this problem will be fixed in release 4.0.7.

Don

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:43 pm

1) Renaming. We have pretty strict conventions on file names, with some being case sensitive. Rename now complains about the file already existing if we try to rename to fix a case problem (ie. ABC1234.ASM to ABC1234.asm). I don't think the vault client had a problem doing this in the 3.5.2 release.
You are correct. We have that logged as a bug to be fixed in one of the future releases. In the meantime, you could perform these renames with an additional step of another rename in the middle to a non-similar name. For example, ABC1234.ASM would be renamed to ABC1234.AS2 and then renamed again to ABC1234.asm.
2) Icons in the tree menu. If the user has the vault showsplash screen disabled using the registry mod, none of the icons are visable in the tree menu.
Correct. This is also logged. The only current workaround is to not disable the splash screen.
3) We had to put in a call to Sourcegear about shadow folder support.
Since I didn't take that call, I'm not sure what I can tell you there. You can contact us any time by email or phone. I will be able to find out some more information about the shadow folder upgrading next week. In the meantime, I could put in a feature request for a browse button on the Shadow folder page if you would like. Just let me know.