Quick fix for UNKNOWN status

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Quick fix for UNKNOWN status

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 am

I recently had to replace my computer due to hardware problems, and had to move my development environment to a new machine. I had a lot of "in-progress" work, and didn't want to do a get lastest version after setting up vault on the new computer. There were lots of status UNKNOWN.

I tried copying the cache folder/files from the old machine, but that didn't work. I was about to give up and do the get-lastest but stumbled on a quick way to resync the file status fields for an entire folder.

If you do a "Show Differences" on a single file in a folder, ALL the status fields in the folder are updated.

Don

PS. This is Vault 4.0.6

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Interesting. I hadn't tried that. What I would normally suggest is a Get Latest with the option to 'Do not overwrite/Merge later.' That way no change is made to the file that is already on disk.

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Beth,

I don't actually want to do a get lastest version to load several hundred folders worth of info to straighten out the status fields (ie. I'm a remote user).

This brings up the question... Since Vault already has a function in the show differences utility to Resolve Status on an entire folder, could sourcegear expose this to the GUI? Even better make it recursive so that I could point to the root folder and staigten out all the status fields at once? Note: It's actually pretty fast already. I did this from a remote vault session and a show differences on one file did hundreds of repairs in the folder very quickly - the GUI shows what's going on down on the status bar.

Thanks,
Don

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 pm

If it's just clearing the status, the Get Latest where it doesn't overwrite nor merge should do the same thing. It shouldn't actually be pulling down files unless they aren't present at all, so I would expect it to be as fast or fast than the show differences. If you have the option in Vault Tools - Options to detect changes using CRCs, then that would make it slower, so you also may wish to turn that option off if you have it checked.

If with both CRCs turned off and performing a Get with 'Don't Overwrite/Merge Later,' you are still getting slowness, then let me know.

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Beth,

I only have about 10% of the repository on my remote system. That Get Lastest would be a multi-gigabyte hit to straighten out file status on the entire repository. And there are lots of folders with hundreds of members that I only have 5-10 files local files machine. I was very happy to find out that I could fix the unknown file status for those 5-10 files without having to do a get latest version on the 500+ members in the folder.

Let me put it this way. Do you have a home system that connects to a vault server at sourcegear? And do you keep a local version of every file for the 1.x versions of vault? I'd guess not. But you might keep a handful around that are useful for support or research. And that handful might be spread all over the repository.

Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:37 am

Don:

I use the setting to keep the _sgvault folders in-line with working folders for that exact reason. Now, I haven't tried it from machine to machine, but I do know this strategy works when moving from drive location to drive location in the scenario you just described.

HTH
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:40 pm

I verified that the built in diff does kick off the event that resolves unknown file status. I can put in a feature request to make that a separate function a user can invoke. That's what you're looking for here, right?

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Beth,

I would like to put in the feature request, and it would be even better if the function has a "recursive" option to fix up the subfolders as well.

Thanks very much,
Don

poschdi

Re: Quick fix for UNKNOWN status

Post by poschdi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 am

I also wish a function to resolve the unknown file status.

Greets Florian

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Thank you both for your feedback on this. I have logged it.

F: 14141
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am

Beth,

It looks like sourcegear took away the "quick fix" method of updating the file status - it no longer works in Vault 4.1.4. Could you please escalate the feature request? I believe that having a tool that could be run on the repository to fix each UNKNOWN file status would be very helpful to lots of Vault users.

Thanks,
Don

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 am

By "quick fix" do you mean that using Diff doesn't change the status? Or are you referring to performing a Get Latest with the option to "Do Not Overwrite/Merge Later?" I tend to recommend the second one. If that one isn't working for you, then we need to troubleshoot the issue.
Beth Kieler

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 am

>>do you mean that using Diff doesn't change the status?<<

Yes

I'm remote from the vault server, and have a very small subset of the members on my local machine. A Get Latest is a NOT good
option for me...

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by Don Thimsen on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:25 am

Beth,

I've corrected my last post to read:

"A Get Latest is a NOT good option for me... "