Vault Client Suggestion

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nemoby

Vault Client Suggestion

Post by nemoby » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:57 am

Quick suggestiong for a future release within the Vault Client (unless it is already there in some form and I just don't know about it.)

Allow me to right-click on a file or folder and select "Save As...". This would work similar to "Get latest" but I don't want to set a working folder. An operation I would use when I have no intention of ever working with a file under source control or under source control within the current structure.

I found the need for this when copying some code / files between two different Vault servers. I simply wanted to add the code / files to a secondary project where the source and destination shall never meet again. I didn't have a local copy of the source on my machine and didn't want to create one within the original project on server A. I just wanted to suck things down and deposit them within my project on server B.

-Andy

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 pm

In the dialog that comes up when you do a Get Latest, you can change the directory where the files go. If you don't get a dialog, then it must be turned off in Tools-Options, and you'll need to turn it back on again, or hold down the Shift key when selecting the Get Latest function.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work if you don't have a working folder set. If you don't, then you have to do a history query and do the Get Latest from there.

I know I have asked for the ability to do a Get Latest without setting a working folder. We had this capability with VSS, as I recall.

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Greg,

I receive the dialog, but the wording implies that I will be setting my working directory. I don't want to do/change that. I just want to save a copy of the file at a specific location.

-Andy

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Currently, you do need a working folder set. That doesn't mean that you have to perform the Get to the working folder. Just set it to where you actually normally work on that file and then perform your Get and set the Get dialog to a different location.

You can also try using the command line instead.
I used something like the following with no working folder set:
vault GET -host vaultserver -user xxxxx -password xxxx -repository "Default Repository" -nonworkingfolder "c:\test" $/Tests/Scripts

The Get command is documented in our CLC documentation.