Can't select the enhanced client in VS 2008

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

CesarGon

Can't select the enhanced client in VS 2008

Post by CesarGon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:48 am

I am trying to follow the steps in the Enhanced Client FAQ, but when I arrive to the point where I am supposed to select the Enhanced Client in VS 2008 options, I find that only "None" and the "Classic Client" are available. No option for the Enhanced Client appears in the list.

I am using Vault 4.1.0 and VS 2008 Professional. Can you please help with this? Many thanks.
Regards,
Cesar.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:00 am

The first thing I would suggest is installing and uninstalling the Vault GUI Client.

Let us know if the problem persists after that. There should be a client installation log in your user's temp directory %temp% that might hold additional clues.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

CesarGon

Post by CesarGon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Linda,

The Programs and Features list in the Control Panel lists two entries for Vault: SourceGear Vault Client and SourceGear Vault Server. I tried to uninstall the client as you suggested, but when I click Uninstall, I get a message saying that "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Since this wouldn't let me uninstall the client, I selected the server and clicked the Change button, which let me to the install wizard where I deselected the client component of Vault and continued. I re-run the setup program and re-installed the client. After doing that, VS 2008 is still missing the Enhanced Client option.

I was suspicious that uninstalling the Vault client using the Change button had not actually uninstalled anything, so I repeated the uninstall process and tried to open the Vault client. It opened correctly, so it was not uninstalled. I re-installed again just in case.

Then I looked into my %temp% folder and found the log. This is an excerpt:
Adding registry keys for VSIP integration...
Getting the VS2005 Path
Getting the VS2008 Path
VS2005 path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
VS2008 path is:
Installing Vsip Registry Keys
I noticed that no VS2008 path is listed. However, VS 2008 is installed and working on my machine.

Shall I try uninstalling Vault completely and re-installing again?

Many thanks for your time.
Regards,
Cesar.

CesarGon

Post by CesarGon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Linda,

After a while I decided to uninstall Vault completely from my system (except for the database) and install it again. It worked. The Enhanced Client option now appears in VS 2008.

Thanks for your support. :)
Regards,
Cesar.