Vault 4.1, VS2008 IDE & Remote users

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kevinhanson

Vault 4.1, VS2008 IDE & Remote users

Post by kevinhanson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 am

We are evaluating Vault 4.1 and are pleased with it so far. We have one server and 3 VS2008 IDE integrations on a LAN working just fine.

Now one of the clients is moving to a remote location and I'm not sure he'll still be able to use the IDE integrated plug-in without being on the LAN.

So 2 questions:

1. Can a remote user still use the IDE plug-in and be connected to the server via the internet only?

2. If "yes" then what, if anything, do I need to do to get that to work?

Thanks!

ian_sg

Re: Vault 4.1, VS2008 IDE & Remote users

Post by ian_sg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 am

kevinhanson wrote:Can a remote user still use the IDE plug-in and be connected to the server via the internet only?
Absolutely.
kevinhanson wrote:If "yes" then what, if anything, do I need to do to get that to work?
The only thing to be aware of with the IDE client (assuming you're using the Enhanced Client) is that the server URL is written into solution and project files. This means that the host name you choose needs to resolve to the correct server whether you're on the LAN or remote. If that's not possible, the easiest thing to do on remote machines is modify the Windows hosts file to add an alias.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

kevinhanson

Post by kevinhanson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks for the quick response. Further discussion on my end reveals that a bigger headache for us might be getting a static IP address exposed for the current server. Looks like an easier solution for us is just to establish a VPN connection for our remote user. That way it would be the same as if he were right there on the office LAN with the rest of us. :)

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 pm

How is your remote client resolving a dynamic address to VPN in? Can they do the same with Vault?