4.1.1 doesn't work for IIS7 native; connectionstring option?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lfonlfonlfon

4.1.1 doesn't work for IIS7 native; connectionstring option?

Post by lfonlfonlfon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:53 pm

The 4.1.1 installer isn't working. I'm still getting this at the end of the installation:
Pre-Website Check...

Entering Website Check...
Looking for websites on this machine...
Looking for websites on this machine...
Prepped IIS Path : IIS://LocalHost/W3SVC. Preparing to do directory entry
Unknown error (0x80005000)
Vault Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = -1280
It looks like it's still trying to access the metabase, IIS6 style. That's my central problem. I'm using Windows Server 08 with IIS7 and cannot install the IIS6 compatibility mode.

Do you have any utilities that can create the connection string for the web.config if I create the SQL user account myself? In other words, I woud create a SQL user account and map it to have dbo access to sgvault and sgmaster. And then your utility, given the user info, would generate the encypted password that the web.config wants.

I've copied over the databases - from our old server - and the web application and created the site in IIS and that all works. But the web app can't connect to the database because the connection string is encrypted and I have no way of transferring the user accounts. Any new user accounts I create will not work because of the encyption that you're using internally.

jclausius

Re: 4.1.1 doesn't work for IIS7 native; connectionstring opt

Post by jclausius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm

lfonlfonlfon wrote:But the web app can't connect to the database because the connection string is encrypted and I have no way of transferring the user accounts.
Connection strings when used with SQL Server authentication do not necessarily need encrypting. A Vault/Fortress SQL Authenticated connection string can take two different password parameters:
  1. PWD=<ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD>
  2. PASSWORD=<PLAIN_TEXT_PASSWORD>
I don't know if this helps you out, but I wanted to let you know there is a work-around for connecting when you want to modify (or have problems generating) the password in web.config.

This could be a temporary work-around until the installation catches up to IIS 7, or a utility could be be provided to help things out.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

lfonlfonlfon

Post by lfonlfonlfon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:22 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy. Freakin. Cow. I've been working on this all day and had no idea that you could do that. I've read dozens of forum posts and looked at everything bit of documentation I could get my hands on over at download.sourcegear.com.

I'm not sure what to say at this point.... Glad it works. Thanks.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:22 pm

This info has been posted before, but you would have to be really searching for it as I don't think it is heavily publicized.

In any case, I thought you might want to know about this, although I wasn't sure it would help you out, even if temporarily.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:48 am

As for your core complaint (4.1.1 is still doing metabase operations), we will correct this problem shortly.