VS2003 integration Solution not refreshed after Get Latest

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

VS2003 integration Solution not refreshed after Get Latest

Post by Tri » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi,
Vault Client + Server: 2.06.

My VS2003 solution is still out of sync after several Get Latest (from within 2003). I had to:

- close VS2003
- get the latest solution from Vault Client
- open VS2003
- Get Latest solution from within 2003

I believe my VS2003 is correctly registered using Vault as SCC Provider. The issue above only happened yesterday.

Any idea on what was wrong? Thanks in advance.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:36 pm

It might have been that the project file was out of sync somehow and Visual Studio was not asking for all the files it should have on the Get Latest.

If this keeps happening, let us know, especially if it is reproducible, as it may then be something more serious.

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:46 am

Hi Dan,

Just a guess. Can you see if there is anything relevant.

Could it be the consequence of a group permission change?
I belong to a group. The group have had permission revoked on some subdirs (which are completely independant from the project I was working on).

When Vault client connects, it tries to reconciliate with the new group permission. And somehow got confused with the local cache (still contains the revokes subdirs). As a results it got lost and may be decides to give up the 'Get Latest' task ... without raising any warning.

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:57 am

One more clue.

I work at two different places. At one, I must use a proxy. At the other I have direct connection.

Does that have an influence to increase my chance of upsetting Vault client?

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:53 pm

Sounds like there is one more indice to support the idea of the permission change that corrupts the "Get Latest".

I have added new user permissions for User X this morning (add RCA on two folders). A few moment later, he had trouble to Get Latest on another project which is completely independant from the 2 folders above. The issue happened from within VS2003 AND also Vault client.

He made a diff and always see that Get Latest didn't work. He deleted his local file and then Get Latest (from Vault) in order to really get the new version.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:07 pm

If there is a problem with permissions, it would apply to both the GUI and the IDE clients. It does seem like there might be an issue here related to permissions, but we'd need more info to track it down. Can you give more details about what happened in which parts of the tree so we can try to reproduce it?

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:44 pm

Client + Server v2.06, VS2003, WinXP Pro (almost correctly up to date).

Example of project layout:

$/Project/Part1
$/Project/Part2
$/Project/Part3

User X is member of group ABC that has RCA permission on $/Project.
User X works on $/Project/Part3.

Scenario1: Now the admin decides to revoke RCA permission of group ABC on Part1 and Part2. User X permissions are then affected, however he should be able to work OK on Part3. But he will probably experience Get Latest problem. I can not tell you when the issue will show up (depending on closing, opening Vault or VS ?)

Scenario2: Once, user X has managed to get his "Get Latest" work again. Doing one of the tricks above. As he is team leader, he needs to have full access to Part1 and Part2 projects. The admin, therefore grants him individuals RCA permission on these two projects.

Again, his permission set is changed. And experiences "Get Latest" issue on Part3 again.

aluetjen

Post by aluetjen » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:48 am

Hi!

We have exactly the same problem. The "Get Latest" simply doesn't retrieve project files in general...

Sometimes we also get a simple "Access Failure" error message (client log file by mail if required).

Regards, Alex
update4u Software AG

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:40 am

Yes, the client log would be helpful - make sure it is setup for "get". Also, an IDE log would be helpful, but I'm not sure whether 2.0.6 has adequate logging for the IDE, but you could try it anyway...

Tri, turning on logging would also be helpful to try to track this down. You might also turn on server logging ("debug" mode), and see whether the files that are out of date are being recieved as requests by the server.

Tri

Post by Tri » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:50 am

Yesterday, I have had VS2003 completely dis-sync with Vault again. This time is more understandable though. The solution has been reorganized, some projects have been removed, some others have been added.

I had to restart from scratch: empty my local folder and, from within VS2003, "open from source control". Before that I noticed that "Get Latest" behaves differently between Vault client (can really get latest) and VS (get latest does nothing).

Q1: How to activate client log? (we currently use client 2.06)

Q2: Is there any reason for VS to behave differently than the Vault client?

Q3: When the solution is changed, my VS integration is likely to be broken. What should I do to avoid this?

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:51 am

Some other thoughts on this as well:

Are you using web projects? We've noticed that if you choose the same Vault folder for both the project files and the web service files, it actually stores these files on two different folders on the local disk, and then VS attempts to switch working folders when it needs one or the other, and often gets confused on things like Get Latest.

Another possibility: often when files are not retrieved in a Get Latest, it is because another version was created on the server, and the user is set to not automatically merge the file, or the automatic merge failed due to conflicts.

Can you all verify wasn't the case when the Get Latests didn't get the most recent versions of files?

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:05 am

Tri wrote:
Q1: How to activate client log? (we currently use client 2.06)
See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2146 for instructions.

If you want to try 3.0.2, which has better logging, you can download the server from here:
http://download.sourcegear.com/files/Va ... _3_0_2.msi

and the client from here:
http://download.sourcegear.com/files/Va ... _3_0_2.msi

Note that upgrading to 3.0.2 is a one-way operation, but since you are a gold support member, it would be a free upgrade (assuming you have as many gold support licenses as actual licenses.
Q2: Is there any reason for VS to behave differently than the Vault client?
Yes, quite a few reasons! We are completely dependent on what Visual Studio tells us to do, and often there are often problems related to that (such as unexpected changes of working folders and such). We have complete control over our own GUI standalone client, so it usually works a lot better.
Q3: When the solution is changed, my VS integration is likely to be broken. What should I do to avoid this?
Things like adding files to the solution can get to the point where it works pretty well. However, if you move projects around or rename or branch of things of that nature, you have to pay very close attention that everything is re-binded correctly after the change.