VS.NET integration funnies

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

JerryShea

VS.NET integration funnies

Post by JerryShea » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:01 am

I keep having to re-set my top level working folder in the vault client. When I start VS.NET it resets the working folder to something spurious.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:30 am

Visual Studio will do that - reset working folders. Is there a pattern that you can recognize?

We've found it is better to not fight VS - if it needs files to be in a particular place, there will be problems with the project or solution if they are not there.

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:35 pm

Also, I would check the files on the Vault server thorugh the Vault Client, making sure you only have one copy of everything tand making sure directory trees are not duplicated (VS will happily do this for you without telling you). I've found that when VS forcibly changes working directories, the file structure within Vault is all screwed up.

It took a long time, but I've now gotten my projects to all work in inherited directories (I only set the root directory to a working folder), this way I ensure that the file structure makes sense to everyone involved. The only exception is web projects, which VS will place in the C:/inetpub/wwwroot directory, but that is ok.

Getting files to be laid out with all-inherited directories is a big challenge involving hand-editing (ie, Notepad.exe) of project files and solutions, re-creating some project and solution files from scratch, and a LOT of patience, specially when adding existing projects to source control (make backups!).
gabriel magana-gonzalez