Detect new files to add doesn't detect new folder?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

Detect new files to add doesn't detect new folder?

Post by mlippert » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:32 am

I just did a "Detect new files to add" and one of my subfolders named "efi" had a new folder underneath it named "efidebug". That folder and all of its contents was not detected.

This seems like a bug. Is it?

Mike

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:49 am

I just did a "Detect new files to add" and one of my subfolders named "efi" had a new folder underneath it named "efidebug". That folder and all of its contents was not detected.

This seems like a bug. Is it?
It was designed this way for now (note that the command is Detect Files, rather than Detect Files/Folders, which was cheesy, but intentional). I was wondering when someone would notice this :)

The problem is actually a GUI problem. For Detect New Files, the tree on the left is actually the repository tree, not the local tree (although the files displayed on the right are files that are in the working folder at that tree location that are not in the repository).

So, to put in new local folders, we'd have to either make the left tree some kind of combination of repository/local file system, which could get very confusing since working folders can change at any node. Or, we'd need to put new file system folders in the file list area, which also has its problems (e.g., how would you expand the tree there to allow you to select files to include/exclude).

This is probably way to much info, but suffice to say, yes, we punted on this one.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:59 am

OK, this caused a small problem because I was using it to merge in changes from somewhere else (during the course of our migration from SourceSafe actually), but I accept that it is working as designed.

It is a little more confusing since the Exclude list lets you specify folders to exclude as well as files to exclude.

I think I'd prefer that the new folder show up in the file list on the right and it can be added in it's entirety or not at all (ie it can't be expanded). That way at least I could choose not to add the whole thing but would know to go add the pieces of it that I wanted later.

Mike

ps That wasn't too much information, I appreciated all of it! :)