my working folder keeps changing

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

JerryShea

my working folder keeps changing

Post by JerryShea » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I am pretty sure this started when I upgraded to Vault 3. I keep having to manually change it back. I am also using VS.NET 2003 with Vault integration turned on.

Any suggestions?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:08 pm

Jerry:

The Vault IDE client is dependent on what Visual Studio instructs it to do. Often "problems" are introduced due to this behavior, such as the unexpected change of working folder assignments. For example, if you have a solution containing projects not found in a sub directory of the solution, VS.Net tries to re-map everything underneath.

Unfortunately, VS.Net is very particular how things are laid out on disk and how they map to a repository's tree. It is even pickier with web based projects. However, this "behavior" is not new to Vault IDE, and as mentioned, VS.Net is totally in control when it comes to working folder assignments.

------------

Keeping this in mind, can you elaborate more on what you are seeing?

Things like
- The project type.
- Layout of the project sub directories in relation to the solution.
- Which project's working folder is being changed ( what value you assigned and the new value assigned from VS.Net ).
- Any other info which might be helpful.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JerryShea

changing working folder

Post by JerryShea » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:33 am

OK,

the top level working folder is the one that keeps changing. It changes to point to one of the projects beneath it. It is not always the same project!

I just made it happen with the following steps:
1. made sure the top level working folder was set correctly ($/dotNET -> d:\development\doNet) in Vault client
2. re-opened the d:\development\dotNet\xxx.sln
3. hit F5 in Vault client
4. working folder has been changed to D:\Development\dotNET\Framework\BusinessObjects\Interfaces\Extra\ORMapper which is the working folder for one of the projects in the solution

what do you recommend? Can I turn off integration easily?

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:45 am

I've noticed that VS will do this when say a web project is in the same folder as the solution file - it will switch the working folder back and forth (because it creates a virtual folder for the web project and actually copies the files there).

As Jeff said, Vault doesn't have any control over this. It probably has something to do with your solution structure, but exactly what isn't easy to figure out without VS source code.

But, yes it is easy enough to disable integration - just unbind the project from source control from within Visual Studio (using Source Control->Change Source Control), and then use the Vault GUI client as the SCC interface.