Adding remote shadow folders

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Adding remote shadow folders

Post by christian » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:26 am

Having problems correctly setting up a shadow folder that's on a remote machine.

I'm running vs 3.0.2 on the server and all clients. The vault server is running on Win2k, IIS5. I get the following error message in VaultShadowFolderService.txt:

... Could not find part of the path \\orpMYMACHINE\VaultTest

Looking at the release notes for vs 3.0.1 I'm not sure whether I still need to go through the setup documented in the Admin tool to configure shadow folders. Anyhow, I still went to the web.config file in the VaultShadowService folder and uncommented the identity element and added the user name and password of the domain account that the machine hosting vault is logged in as (a powerful account, but not sure that its part of the domain admins group). I opened Admin Tools>Local Security Policy and then checked Local Policies>User Rights Assignments and confirmed that the account or a group it belongs to has the permissions that are mentioned in the admin tool doco.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Christian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:42 am

The account used by the shadow folder should be a domain user, but I don't believe it has to be a domain admin.

Does your account have security permissions permission to both the Vault Server machine as well as on the networked machine's UNC resource?

If you log into the Vault Server machine with the shadow folder account, can you browse to the shadow folder on the other machine? Does the account have read/write access to the shadow folder directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

christian

Post by christian » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:07 am

Hi,
Just confirmed that the domain account I'm using for impersonation is part of the domain admins group so its going to have god like power over all the network resources. I assume this means that it can't be a permissions problem?
Christian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:30 am

One would think so. But it still wouldn't hurt to make sure you check folder properties->security to make sure the account is explicity listed there and has read\write access. I've seen cases where Everyone had full control over folder, but users still had to give System accounts, etc. explicit control.

Also, log into the Vault Server machine with that account to set the local file structure under App Data.

Review this KB article and verify your Domain Admin account meets all the requirements and has been explicitly granted access to the directories listed:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=188

Since you have IIS 5, you don't have to pay attention to any of the Application Pool configuration info.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Ok, I've reviewed this doco again and applied some more explicit permissions but still no luck.

I made sure that the domain account was explicitly listed as having full permissions to the network share and subfolders. I explicitly went through the list of Local Policies explicitly granting the domain account the privaleges listed in the doc.

I re-booted and logged on (again) as the domain account - zip. Still getting the same error message.

Christian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:48 pm

We've had a couple other support issues with Shadow Folders in Vault 3.0.x and further investigation uncovered some problems in the code.

We've made some fixes and will be incorporating those in Vault 3.0.3, which will be released next week. Hopefully, this will solve the problem you are experiencing.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Cool. I'll wait till I see the release notes.