Checkin sometimes undoes checkout

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

awdavis

Checkin sometimes undoes checkout

Post by awdavis » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:47 pm

I thought I was crazy...but then I told my problem to some coworkers and they said the same was happening to them. It's a straightforward problem. Sometimes when I check in a file that I've edited and saved, Vault 3.0.1 prompts me for a comment and then it happily undoes the checkout. My edited file goes to sgbak and there's a nice entry in the log of the undo checkout. I do not know if the "edited" flag was showing in the GUI before I selected check in. All I know is it's causing problems...

Am I crazy?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Am I crazy?
Only your close friends can answer that one. :D

I tried to reproduce this, but it didn't happen. Can you reproduce it? If so, let us know the specific set of steps leading up to the strange behavior.

If you can't reproduce, next time it happens see if you can recall what you were doing, what the status was of the file that you were trying to check in, and any other details.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

awdavis

Post by awdavis » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:11 pm

I'll pay attention next time...unfortunately it doesn't happen often and when it does, I usually notice much later when the version is wrong.

I can, however, guarantee that it is happening. The one piece of information I don't know is if the file indicated that it was edited in Vault (it had changed, and the new version was happily sitting in the sgbak folder). I don't suppose it's as straightforward as you're missing a refresh right before a check in?

Niklas

Post by Niklas » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:17 am

We have also encountered this, not being able to reproduce it, yet. We are running V3.0.1. We'll continue our search....
/Niklas

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:10 am

I would suggest turning on client logging (see http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2146) and the next time it happens, save off the log, and try to identify which entries correspond. The log will grow quite large, so you may want to delete it once a day. We may need to send out a temp build with more logging in it if there isn't enough info (and you see the problem often enough to reproduce it occasionally)

Some questions:

1. Do both of you have the "require comments" feature turned on?
2. Is this happening through the GUI client, the IDE client or both?
3. Do either of you use CRCs to determine whether a file has been edited?

Tri

Re: Checkin sometimes undoes checkout

Post by Tri » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:13 am

awdavis wrote:Sometimes when I check in a file that I've edited and saved, Vault 3.0.1 prompts me for a comment and then it happily undoes the checkout. My edited file goes to sgbak and there's a nice entry in the log of the undo checkout. I do not know if the "edited" flag was showing in the GUI before I selected check in. All I know is it's causing problems...?
We have also experienced this problem with Vault 2.06. This happened on files within a shared project. Is it the same for you?

bfinney

Post by bfinney » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 am

Most interesting, indeed.

awdavis or Nikas: when you saw this, do you know if you were working with a shared folder?

Tri: Do you recall how you invoked the checkin - was it on a file, or a folder, or in the change set?
Brody Finney
SourceGear QA Thug
"I break things for a living"

Tri

Post by Tri » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:24 am

bfinney wrote:Tri: Do you recall how you invoked the checkin - was it on a file, or a folder, or in the change set?
File, from within VS2003, right click, check in. Sometimes, I checked in multiples files. All files outside of the shared project are checked in OK. Only the file in the shared folder was affected (the check-in became undo check out. Fortunately, the latest version was saved in _sgbak). The trouble was that this didn't happen systematically.

asills

Post by asills » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:42 am

This seemed to happen to myself and my team maybe once out of 20 checkins... When I switched to using CRCs to determine file modification instead of last write time, it went away.

bcargill

Post by bcargill » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:55 pm

I have also had this problem. I have tried to reproduce, but cannot. I am not positive, but i think it occured with files that I was editing- tried to save- they were read only- so while RO warning was up I checked out- then completed save.

I know the files were changed on disk- projects were rebuilt, change was realized. I know on checkin, the changes were undone.

I've had it happen maybe 3 times in 3 months. Very infrequent, but shakes one's confidence.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:08 pm

We'd very much like to find and fix this, and we will continue to try to get it to happen here. Thanks for the hints/possibilities, and let us know if you unveil any other conditions that you think might make this happen.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Something to verify with everyone: This only happens when checking in files from within Visual Studio, correct?

Another question: Does it seem to happen on file combinations (such as .cs/.resx or .cs/.aspx) were Visual Studio checks out/in two files at the same time, even though it only looks like one file?

Niklas

Post by Niklas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:03 am

dan wrote:Something to verify with everyone: This only happens when checking in files from within Visual Studio, correct?

Another question: Does it seem to happen on file combinations (such as .cs/.resx or .cs/.aspx) were Visual Studio checks out/in two files at the same time, even though it only looks like one file?
We were using Vault V3.0.0.1 with CRC check set. It happened on VStudio 6.0 .dsp files, when asking the developer he can't recall if he checked them in via Vault Client or VStudio 6.0.

Not much, i hope it helps.... We appreciate the support you offer....

bcargill

Post by bcargill » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:28 am

I was using the client (3.0.1) and dealing with .cpp & .h files.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:02 am

bcargill wrote:I was using the client (3.0.1) and dealing with .cpp & .h files.
Sorry - need to be painstakingly precise here - was it the Vault standalone client or the VS IDE client?