RSS Feed from bugtrackingfeed.aspx

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

wpriess

RSS Feed from bugtrackingfeed.aspx

Post by wpriess » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 pm

The page is working (kind of). When I request it from a browser or a newsreader (Thunerbird in this instance), the server is trying to send html rather than text/xml

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Bill Priess
Lead Developer
MW2 Consulting
Sunnyvale, CA

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:34 pm

I'm not really sure what is happening. In Dragnet 1.0.2, the content type is marked as "application/rss+xml".

What do you get when you browse to the RSS feed? When I try, I get an XML based document.

The feed page has been verified in SharpReader, Newsgator and FeedDemon, but not Thunderbird. I'll make sure we take a look at this later today.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

wpriess

Post by wpriess » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 pm

The browser tries to save it as an aspx file. This is the entry from the IIS Log file:

2005-02-25 21:00:02 192.168.0.115 GET /dragnet/feeds/bugtrackingfeed.aspx user=wpriess&password=<blocked>&project=Request%20For%20Service 1024 - 192.168.0.28 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 0

(Don't know how much help that is... lol)

When I open the downloaded file though, it is XML:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><rss version="2.0" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"><channel><title>Dragnet Bug Tracking Home</title><link>http://dragnet/Dragnet/Recent.aspx?pid=103</link><description>Dragnet Bug Tracking Latest Info</description></channel></rss>
Thanks,

Bill Priess
Lead Developer
MW2 Consulting
Sunnyvale, CA

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:37 pm

This is working on my end.

Here is my current test setup:

1) Thunderbird version 1.0 (20041206)
2) Added a News & Blogs account
3) Added the Feed to News & Blogs - http://dragnetserver_hostname/dragnet/feeds/bugtrackingfeed.aspx/?pass=mypassword&user=myuser&project=myproject
4) Once added, the feed populated my list with the correct project items.

Note, I tried PASS and PASSWORD query params, and both seem to work correctly.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

wpriess

Post by wpriess » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:46 pm

Hmm, strange... I wonder if it something to do with the setup of Dragnet. I tried the *exact* same setup, I'm still getting the same issue. The server tries to send the aspx file rather than a RSS feed.

Thunderbird: version 1.0 (20041206)
IE: 6.0.2900.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
Win Server 2003 Ent Ed.
SourceGear Dragnet Version 1.0.2.1197

I also tried doing it from other computers (my main one is a dev machine, so it gets buggy sometimes) and got the same results.

Thanks!
Thanks,

Bill Priess
Lead Developer
MW2 Consulting
Sunnyvale, CA

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:01 pm

Here is a sample RSS feed. This is working in my Thunderbird client as well as a FeedDemon 1.5 client.

Does it work on your end?

http://vaultdemo.sourcegear.com/dragnet ... word=guest
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

wpriess

Post by wpriess » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:17 pm

Yup, that works. An interesting note: I installed a local copy and the feed works fine. I wonder if it has to do with a couple of things:

• A. Dragnet is installed on a Win2K3 Ent Ed server.
    B. Dragnet is running in a web using port 1024 (We are also running a SharePoint server on the box, which takes over port 80).
Have you seen any bugs with Win2K3 servers and Dragnet?

Thanks for all the support, btw. It's much appreciated.
Thanks,

Bill Priess
Lead Developer
MW2 Consulting
Sunnyvale, CA

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:42 pm

I just installed Dragnet 1.0.2 on a Windows 2003 Server using a brand new Web site configured on port 8000, making sure to use a DIFFERENT physical directory than the system's inetpub/wwwroot. Note, I had to re-configure ASP.Net with aspnet_regiis -c to get Dragnet running correctly.

Anyway, the RSS Feed worked using the feed - http://dragnet_hostname:8000/dragnet/feeds/bugtrackingfeed.aspx/?project=testproj&user=test&password=test

Now, we know Sharepoint can sometimes act naughty, especially when it re-configures ASP.Net settings. You could try to create a new web site within IIS (keeping the physical directory out of %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\wwwroot), and re-install Dragnet to that web site.

Other than that, perhaps someone with more Sharepoint knowledge could jump in on what may be causing the problem.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:51 pm

jclausius wrote:Other than that, perhaps someone with more Sharepoint knowledge could jump in on what may be causing the problem.
That is making a huge assumption that Sharepoint is causing this problem.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

wpriess

Post by wpriess » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:55 pm

I didn't even think about the issues that SPS would cause with other applications living under \inetpub\wwwroot (Dragnet is at \inetpub\wwwroot\Dragnet). I wonder if conflicting web.config files might be the issue (Although, according to MSFT, seperate application pools are *supposed* to provide 100% isolation from each other and AppDomains created within them, I don't know if that is the case here or not).

What has me stumped though, is why *everything* else in Dragnet is working 100% bug free... it's just the rss feed that is bombing.

Anyhow, I will look into the whole SPS/Dragnet thing and see what I can figure out in terms of "gotchas".

Thanks for all the help, Jeff!
Thanks,

Bill Priess
Lead Developer
MW2 Consulting
Sunnyvale, CA

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:00 pm

If you search for Sharepoint within these forums, it plays havoc with Vault. (Although I've never looked close enough to see the version of IIS people are running, so perhaps running IIS 6 does improve the situation).

Anyway, in these cases simply creating a new web site for Vault and relocating things so web.config seem to fix the problem - Installing Vault on the same server as Sharepoint

So, this suggestion may not work in the case of Dragnet, but given Sharepoint's web.config modifications, it might be a plausible explanation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear