Error doing "get latest" to win2003 server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chesterc

Error doing "get latest" to win2003 server

Post by chesterc » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:08 pm

Hi,

We just brought our first Win 2003 server online and when I try to do a "get latest" to I get the following error:

"Access to the path "N:\www\images\Czech\_sgback" is denied."

A couple of things to note ... 1) there is no _sgback folder (hidden or otherwise) in the Czech directory and 2) I gave the local ASPNET user full control of the www directory and all of its child objects.

What am I missing? Is there another local user account that should have access?

I can still do a "get latest" to my Win2002 server.

We also just upgraded to vault 2.0.1.

Thanks
Chester Campbell Jr
Slingshot, LLC

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:41 pm

The client may be attempting to create or read from a directory used for backups of overwritten source files. Are you sure the error message says "_sgback", instead of "_sgbak" (the latter is what we name our directories)? The client doesn't run as the ASPNET user, unless you went out of your way to start it that way, or are trying to run the shadow folder service (which runs as ASPNET, and is installed on the server).

You'll need to give write (or specifically Create Folders) permission to the user running the Vault client.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

chesterc

Post by chesterc » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:59 pm

You're right, the error message says "_sgbak", not "_sgback" ... I misstyped.

So the client uses the user's NT account to write files to the targeted server? So if I'm the user then the problem is with my permissions on the targeted server, right?
Chester Campbell Jr
Slingshot, LLC

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:08 pm

Get Latest Version is entirely a client-side concept--the server doesn't ever put files anywhere. The client runs as whatever user starts it and does no user switching. If you're running the client as UserA, and you want to get source files to c:\temp, UserA must have write permission to c:\temp. I'm not sure what you mean by "targetted server". The client can retrieve files to any directory, as long as you have write permission there.

ASPNET is simply the user the Vault server runs as (similar to most applications that run inside IIS).
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC

chesterc

Post by chesterc » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:26 pm

Would it make any difference if the web server I'm targeting is the same run that's running the Vault Service?
Chester Campbell Jr
Slingshot, LLC

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:02 am

It shouldn't matter, unless that server has a problem authorizing the client to write files to it (an example would be the two computers aren't on the same domain). But if the shared server drive is mapped to a drive letter on the client, any directory the logged in Windows user can write to should work fine for the Vault client. We've tested working folders on shares from Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Unix (Samba 2.2, 3.0), and NFS (using the command-line client with Mono).
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:23 pm

Thanks for your help Shaw!

Our administrator got my permissions worked out and I'm able to "get latest" like there's no tomorrow.

Cheers,
chester