read only view/method/license?

This forum is now locked, since gold support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

meastman

read only view/method/license?

Post by meastman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am

I've been using Dragnet for about a month, and it works out very well for what I need.

One business need that would be nice to fill is a way to offer some sort of read-only view of issues so that interested parties could view the status of projects and issues.

In fact, thinking about it, in order to gain support to use Dragnet as a standard bug-tracking tool across multiple groups/teams, I'll have to provide some way to do that since one team's work affects another. Hmm.... I guess I could roll something on my own, if Sourcegear doesn't already have plans.

Will something along these lines be forthcoming? At worst, one option is to create a read-only user(s) and give all the managers the password for the particular project(s) they are interested in.

-- michael

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:32 am

I am not sure I understand what you are requesting (that Dragnet doesn't already do).

You can create groups in Dragnet that have read-only access to a project and users in that group will be able to see the items without modifying them.

You can also assign read-only access to a project for specific users.

A Dragnet user can have read/modify access to one project and read only access to another project.

Or is this a licensing issue? Do you want users who do not have Dragnet licenses to have read-only access to Dragnet?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

meastman

Licensing

Post by meastman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:56 am

In the simplest solution, then yes, licensing is the issue.

When there are unknown people (and an unknown number of people) across an enterprise who need to have access to see what the current status is, then it does NOT make sense to do the following:

1) buy each person a separate license
2) buy one license, make a ready-only user, and then hand those credentials out to everyone

However, it *would* make sense to sell a 100-user read-only license that would allow any anonymous connection, up to 100, a read-only view, or something like that.

Otherwise, Dragnet can only be employed in small teams.

I like Dragnet specifically because it is simple, straightfoward, and well-featured. This means that my developers don't waste a lot of time documenting pointless stuff just b/c the form requires it. A lot of the similar tools out there that target Enterprise markets are way over-complex and eat up way too much time. I'd love to be able to use Dragnet in a larger environment, but a one-to-one license model limits my ability to do that.

-- michael

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 pm

OK, now I understand.

Currently we have no plans to implement a read-only licenses scheme for anonymous users.

You can, however, create a guest account that has read only access to all the projects that all your users could use. If you aren't worried about security, you could even create that guest account with a blank password (Dragnet users can have blank passwords) so the account would basically be an annonymous account (using one account as a guest account would be much more economical than the 100-user anonymous licenses if we ever were to implement such a thing):) Will that work for you?

Or you could create a guest account for each project with read-only access (as you stated as a solution in your first post).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear