Seeing Project changes in VS.Net

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rstrahl

Seeing Project changes in VS.Net

Post by rstrahl » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:44 pm

I am having problems with VS.Net seeing new files added by others in the team.

I do a Get Latest Version in VS.Net and it doesn't get the latest version of files. If I go to Vault I notice several files showing as Renegade. If I go ahead and let those overwrite from the Server the Vault client correctly shows all files, but if I now go back to VS.Net and Get Latest Version the new files still do not show up.

I have to exit and come back in for VS to show the new files.

It seems to most of the problems encountered have to do with Vault incorrectly flagging files as Renegade. The files I see as Renegade havben't been touch by me locally, but still files show as Renegade. Once the Renegade status is cleared up things usually pop back in.

What's really frustrating (and this is probably VS's fault not Vaults) is that when this occurs there's no message that indicates that not all files where retrieved or updated etc. This means ultimately I can't trust VS.Net and have to use the Vault client to validate.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here or is this inherent to the model?

+++ Rick ---

dan

Post by dan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:01 pm

Vault will set a file's status to Renegade if its date-time stamp is different from the date-time stamp it was when you last retrieved it. So, even if you didn't make any changes to the file, if it was saved and has a different date-time stamp, it will be marked as Renegade.

We know this is not a very accurate method to determine if a file has changed, but the performance gain in doing it this way is very significant. We do eventually plan to allow the user to choose the method to determine if a file has been changed (eg., date-time, CRC, actual contents).

So, the mystery is why your files are changing to renegade. You might have to check the Vault client after doing various operations in Visual Studio (or elsewhere) to determine what is triggering the file to change it date-time, and cause Vault to think it is Renegade.

rstrahl

Post by rstrahl » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:23 pm

I'm keeping an eye on the renegade stuff, but this project is pretty large and there are a lot of files in use at the same time so it's hard to keep track of. At this point I've gone over to making the default to overwrite rather than merge. This seems to have helped somewhat.

But there still is the issue of VS not refreshing the project files when getting latest version. Any ideas on that? Vault Client shows the correct files immediately but with VS I have to exit and come back in to see the changes. Get Latest Version refreshes existing files, but doesn't help with new or dropped files...

+++ Rick ---

dan

Post by dan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:54 am

rstrahl wrote: But there still is the issue of VS not refreshing the project files when getting latest version. Any ideas on that? Vault Client shows the correct files immediately but with VS I have to exit and come back in to see the changes. Get Latest Version refreshes existing files, but doesn't help with new or dropped files...
That is strange - A get latest from the IDE on the project file in VS 2003 works as you would expect - it gets the new project file, and gets any new files that have been added. However, if it is not actually overwriting the project file, that would account for it not refreshing. Is the project file perhaps renegade and not being overwritten on a Get?

rstrahl

Post by rstrahl » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:59 pm

Hi Dan,

Well, I switched my Vault option to always overwrite, so it should not have a problem now even with the project.

BTW, I do notice the overwrite dialog now and it pops up a lot! I would assume if I didn't overwrite all those files would be Renegade. I'm not sure what VS is doing to change the time stamps (or whaever triggers the update flags), but it's not quite right since I know I didn't change any files. I suspect that's VS doing not Vault though...

Boy you guys must have some real fun supporting VS problems that you have little control over... <g> Sure seems that the VS SCC could use a little more flexibilty.

Regards,

+++ Rick ---