Multiple Import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tom

Multiple Import

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:10 am

I was told by this forum that it is not wise to run the import tool on multiple machines but I did not find out why? Can you explain to me why this is not acceptable? Or can I run the import tool on multiple machines. For example, to reduce the total time of migration, I'd like to be able to migrate several large projects on multiple workstations (WS). WS1 project A. WS2 for project B and so on.

Thanks

Tom

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:31 am

If you want, you could have two instances of the import tool running, as long as they are not both in the Importing stage at once (one could be doing the pre-scan while the other is doing the import). If two import tools were in the Importing stage simultaneously, it wouldn't really speed anything up. The bottleneck is the server, which is already handling requests as quickly as it can.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:41 am

Jeremy:
You are correct, the prescan does take a long time and this would greatly aid in the process. But I'd like to push this alittle further. So let's just say I'm importing more than one proejct at the same time. Are you saying there are no deadlocking issues with SQLServer, right? And the bottlenck is the SQLServer or the web server? Not sure?

Are there other alternatives?

Thanks

Tom

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:57 am

Tom,

We've tried to eliminate as many deadlocking issues as we can in Vault. Vault can only commit one transaction at a time, so running two imports in the Importing stage wouldn't be faster (and most likely would run slower) than running them in series.

You obviously have special needs for importing. Email me using the button below this post, so that I can get an idea of what you want to do.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:19 pm

jeremy:

I can't seem to locate my userid. This U can't logon to emai you my issues. Can you find out what my userid and password and send them to tomdaria@yahoo.com?

Thanks

Tom

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:04 am

I talked with Tom on the phone and explained that the server wouldn't be able to handle multiple imports at once. I also explained how if there are multiple projects to import in one VSS database, you can (in VSS) move all of them under a temp folder. After importing the temp folder into Vault you can move the projects to the correct location. This means that importing 15 projects doesn't need to involve running 15 imports.