Vault 2.0.1 locks during sourcesafe import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Vault 2.0.1 locks during sourcesafe import

Post by Don Thimsen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:36 am

I've got a couple of dozen VSS projects that I'm importing into vault. Note: All these projects are roughly the same size and have about the same level of update activity.

I started with the eight oldest projects that no longer change, and the import process went well. At that point, I stopped and started playing around with shadow folders to see how that worked. Ran into the UNC fixes and got by that...

Now, it's showtime. I archived our "current" projects out of sourcesafe and restored them onto my workstation. Also, I've been adding a single project at a time - typically about a dozen directories and a 1000 files for each project.

When I start a VSS import, the pre-scan works fine, but when it starts uploading files to Vault it will work for awhile and then lock. Vault will no longer accept logons even from the Vault admin application on the vault server.

If I open the SQL enterprise manager, I can use the server management to check the current activity. There are about a 100 vault processes that are all waiting, and no blocks. Windows task manager on both the vault server and my workstation shows the CPUs are idling in the 2% range. Vault stays locked until I restart IIS services on the vault server.

Thinking I messed up something when trying to get UNC shadow folders working, I removed Identity entry in the web.config file and also deleted all the shadow folder definitions. That didn't help.

I've also renamed all the vault.config and web.config vault files, and then re-installed the vault server (2.0.1) with repair. That didn't help either...

Note: If I keep rerunning the Imports, eventually I can get one to run to completion. A successful import typically takes about an hour. If let one fail, I can can let it sit on the same upload member all night and it doesn't make a difference.

The vault system is Win2K SP4 will all windupdates. 3ghz P4 and 2gb of memory.

Any ideas about where to go from here???

Thanks,
Don

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:05 pm

Mail me your import log file (c:\program files\sourcegear\SourceSafeImportTool) and your server log file for one of the locking runs. Maybe we can figure out what's going on from there.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:57 am

First off, I'd like to compliment Sourcegear technical support. We had an email conversation going though much of the weekend. For obvious reasons, our company needed the VSS to Vault conversion done during off-hours.

While there isn't a resolution that I know of yet, everyone involved thinks that activating shadow folders caused the problem for import. Evidently, when a user defines a shadow folder in the admin application, vault activates a plugin. The thinking is that the plugin has occasional timeout problems during updates and restarts SQL communication processes. Eventually, resources get exhausted and vault locks.

From Vault support: A possible solution is to try clearing out the tblplugins table in the sgvault database. If that table is blank, then the server shouldn't try to contact the shadow folder plugin at all. I don't know if this recommendation actually works - I'd completed the imports by rerunning them many times.

Just thought I post in case others encounter the same problem...

Don