W2k3 SP1 You have no rights to view any items...

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mthibault

W2k3 SP1 You have no rights to view any items...

Post by mthibault » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:20 am

I had applied W2k3 SP1 and ran the Security Wizard which seems to have blocked some functionality that Vault needs. When I run the client, right after selecting a repository I get a dialog "You have no rights to view any items in this repository".

Also, I just ran admin tool and tried to uncheck Enable Folder Security and I got "Server was unable to process request --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I don't know if you have any suggestions - perhaps this is just a warning to others ;-)

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:49 am

Can you check your Vault server log file to see if there is a problem when the server is starting?

mthibault

Post by mthibault » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 am

It seems like it is OK now. I had to edit the web.config file. Can you folks tell me why Vault always gets installed in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultserver even though I have another IP and another web site set c:\vaultweb? I always had to go thru this with the first versions but I thought it would be better now. In your testing do you guys go thru a new install on a server with multiple IPs and NOT install to the default IP/web?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:48 am

The select packages screen where you choose to install the admin tool or the client along with the server is where you can select what directory the files will be copied to. The installer copies the files to that location before we get to prompt you about what website to install to. Unfortunately, we don't have much control over that.

mthibault

Post by mthibault » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 am

Checkin and checkout are working OK now but the Vault Admin Server Options page is giving me problems trying to change anything - I get:
VaultServiceAPILib.VaultSoapException: Access to the path "C:\SourceGearWeb\VaultService\Vault.config" is denied.
at VaultService.VaultAdminService.SetServerOptions(VaultServerOptions vOptions)
When I click "click here for more info" the topic take me to:
"1. The Vault web service's virtual directory does not have Anonymous Access enabled. This must be enabled for Vault to work.
*****Mark Anonymous Access is enabled*****
2. Sharepoint is also installed on the web server. Sharepoint does several things that make it incompatible with Vault. We recommend using the IIS administrative tool to create a second web site outside the c:\inetpub directory. Installing Vault to this new web site and under the new directory will avoid any other issues with Sharepoint.
*****I have Vault in its own web site "C:\SourceGearWeb" *****
3. A less common cause: a user reported that Anonymous Access was enabled, but the password for the anonymous account had expired.
*****The password is set not to expire (by default) *****

I am not sure if this is related to trying to get Vault to run outside of c:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice.
Thanks - Mark

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:49 am

This one's actually really easy, the user that the VaultService web service is running as does not have permission to write to the VaultService directory. Could you email me (using the button below this post) your vault install log, so that I can see what happened? Also, did you change impersonation after you installed?

mthibault

Post by mthibault » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:24 am

It was the NETWORK SERVICE account did not have access to C:\SourceGearWeb\VaultService. Is there somewhere I can relay my issues I have run into by installing to non-default IPs and not at c:\inetpub\wwwroot? I remember with 2.x versions that upgrades could present similiar problems (not using where it is installed now but assuming c:\inetpub\wwwroot). FYI for this install I was going thru a new install of 3.0.5 not an upgrade.
Thanks - Mark

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:27 am

The install should have granted NETWORK SERVICE rights to the directory regardless of where it was installed to. I'd still like to see your install log. It's in the %TEMP% directory for the user that installed Vault.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:12 pm

From the log file that you sent to me, you installed it to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService. Did you just move that directory and remap the IIS virtual directory, or did you uninstall and reinstall?