Need to access horizontal and vertical scrollbars simultaneo

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Perry

Need to access horizontal and vertical scrollbars simultaneo

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:32 pm

I've figured out the reason I cannot find the delete button for the comment with the embedded html that is making the item illegible, is because I cannot access the horizontal scrollbar while I scroll up.

The inside vertical scrollbar barely moves.

The outside vertical scrollbar (the one provided by the web browser) works, but as soon as I move up, I can no longer see the horizontal scrollbar, which is only at the bottom.

So here is the problem:

If I scroll the horizontal scrollbar to the far left, I can see the comment headers and tell them apart, and find the top of the messed up one that dragnet won't display. But, then I can't see or access the Delete Comment button.

But if I scroll the horizontal scrollbar to the far right, so I'll be able to access the Delete Comment button, then try to scroll up to find it, I cannot read any comment text, so I can't tell what comment is what.

I suppose I could get a ruler and hold it up agains the vertical scrollbar, and do the far left scroll and write down the ruler measurement of where the Delete Comment button is, and then do the far right scroll and use the ruler and go to the same place.

But, that is a pretty awful thing to try...

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:26 pm

We will look into making this display better for future versions.

For now, you can either turn off the scrollbars or add a Height property to both the #body and #container elements in the style sheet.

To turn off scrollbars entirely open dragnet.css (in the Dragnet folder on the Dragnet server machine) and search for #body and comment out "overflow: auto":

Code: Select all

/*overflow: auto; */
To add a height property, search for #body AND #container (if you don't set height for both, the page will look messed up) in the style sheet and add:

Height: 400px;

so that should look like:

Code: Select all

#body 
{
	float: left;
	clear: both;
	margin-top: -468px;
	background-color: #fff;
	background-image: url(images/body_bg.gif);
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
	background-position: right top;
	overflow: auto;
	width: 70%;
	min-width: 580px;
	width: expression(document.body.clientWidth < 820 ? "580px" : "70%" );
   height: 400px;

}

#container
{
	padding-right: 20px;
	background-position: right bottom;
	padding-left: 20px;
	background-image: url(images/body_bottom.gif);
	padding-bottom: 20px;
	padding-top: 20px;
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
   height: 400px;
}
You can use whatever value you want for height. You will want to choose a value where vertical scrolls appear within the page before the browser vertical scroll bars are displayed.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

Perry

How to implement the stylesheet changes?

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:47 am

I'm sorry, I forgot to check back earlier.

I would like to try these suggestions -- especially removing the scrollbars. I'm not sure what that will do, but I'm hoping it will move control over the page back to the web browser, so then it would (I hope) do real scrollbars that I can see all the time. That would be best -- that is, so I think, how the web is really designed to work (not with fixed sizes that only work on one particular font and screen resolution that the page designer happens to have).

However, I'm not sure if I'm clever enough to figure out how to do these changes on my own.

I need to change the stylesheet, right?

I'm not an administrator, and don't have any access to the server box, so I'll need to override the stylesheet locally, yes?

I normally use Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1, but I'm not sure that it can do that. At least, I just looked through the options and didn't find a place for that.

I believe that I've seen such functionality in Mozilla, but it may have been in the full Mozilla client.

I just looked in MS Internet Explorer 6, and I see, under the Internet Options/General/Accessibility/User style sheet
a checkbox labelled (sic) "Format documents using my style shee"

I presume I check that, and install my own stylesheet.

So, I need to download the existing stylesheet and make your recommended changes first, yes?

I'm not sure, however, that IE is capable of understanding that I want to install an alternate stylesheet only for the dragnet pages?

Perry

Cannot find overflow setting in stylesheet

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:03 am

I don't see an overflow entry for body.

Here is the block I see (using Mozilla Firefox, with Developer plugin, and CSS/Edit CSS from that plugin to see the stylesheet):

html, body
{
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border: 0;
color: #333;
background-color: #F3F8FB;
background-image: url(images/header_bg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial;
}

Am I looking in the correct location?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:15 am

Am I looking in the correct location?
No, look for "#body" in the CSS file.

I would recommend adding the height property rather than turning scroll bars off, because if you turn them off entirely some pages, like batch edit in particular, may look messed up (if you add a height property make sure to add it to BOTH "#body" and "#container").

The scroll bars are so that the horizontal content doesn't overwrite the menu bar on the side. For example, if you have a lot of columns selected to be displayed for the query result tables, the menu could get overwritten if that section didn't horizontally scroll. Note that the sroll bars only appear as needed. If you have a small screen or high resolution the scroll bars will appear more often (or always).

I am *not sure* if you can make the change locally or not. You may need to have your Dragnet Server administrator edit dragnet.css on the Dragnet server.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

Perry

disabling override doesn't work (doesn't disable scrollbars)

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:42 am

I found the body section further down the CSS, and it looks as you said.

I tried commenting out the override section, but, I still get both the scrollbars inside the page (the horizontal one at the bottom, and the vertical one partway over -- at the end of the item area, and before the upper right menu which has My Open etc on it).

I tried this both in Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1, using the WebDeveloper 0.8 and then I upgraded and tried with the WebDeveloper 0.9.3 plugin, and also in MS Internet Explorer using the Accessibility option to globally set my modified dragnet.css as my stylesheet.

In no case did this work.

However, I did see it work briefly if I edit the css in memory using the WebDeveloper edit css option. The scrollbars disappear as soon as I comment out that line -- but this only seems to work immediately after I edit -- that is, I gather I could do this edit manually every time I visit the page :(

However, it seems odd that it doesn't work when I have it load a css page, which is the css page with that override commented out.

I've not yet tried your recommended Height change instead; that will be my next experiment.

Thanks for the help.