Obliterate Orphans

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Brody

Obliterate Orphans

Post by Brody » Tue May 10, 2005 5:47 pm

I have done something a little odd and I am worried this will cause me a problem.

I am deleting (and obliterating) several old branches (and snapshots) that we no longer require. Some of these cannot be obliterated but they won't tell me why - but my concern is this...

Because I need this to be fairly fast I am deleting sub projects and then obliterating them individually. I accidently deleted the parent of some of these projects and obiliterated it (which I wanted to do - that's not the problem) - but the child projects (which had been deleted) did not show up in the obliterate screen. The obliteration for the parent project was very quick (about what I'd expect for an empty project) and only it showed in the warning screen (none of the child projects displayed).
So my concern is what is going to happpen to my orphaned projects. Will they 'hold open' my later branches and prevent them from being obliterated and is this the cause of my other obliteration problems.

An example of this would be the following structure.

$/A
$/A/B
$/A/C

Now delete B and C projects and then delete A.

B and C are not visible in the obliterate screen but when A was obliterated it was very fast - much faster than I expect if it included B and C as well.

Could you please advise me if this is going to cause orphans to be formed and what I can do about them.

Cheers

Brody

###EDIT###
I forgot to add that we are using 3.0.5.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed May 18, 2005 12:03 pm

It looks like there is a bug in obliterate that is leaving the items underneath. I'll look into the cause of this and try to get it fixed in the next version.

Thanks for reporting this!

nmcalpin

Post by nmcalpin » Fri May 20, 2005 11:50 am

Can the next version also have some type of generic orphan scanning?

We've had a few problems in the past (now resolved) that I suspect have left orphan records lying about.

thanks