Vault 2.0.1 Client questions/enhancement requests

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Vault 2.0.1 Client questions/enhancement requests

Post by Don Thimsen » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:21 pm

During the past week, we've completed the conversion for our 9 person development group from VSS to Vault. We are very happy campers - especially the remote users.

I've got two questions left about the client interface:

1) The Remote Date doesn't seem to be consistent. During import processing, the "Remote Date" is set to the modification date of the checked in file. This is the same way Sourcesafe and Sourceoffsite worked. Note: Almost all of the content in our repository has the modification date in the Remote Date column. However, files added/checked-in after the import use the date of the checkin for the Remote Date. It's a bit confusing... I personally prefer the "old" way.

2) Is there a "Find in File" function in the GUI? Most of our developers keep current copies of there projects on their workstations, but I manage lots of projects and relied on the VSS Find in File function. Just checking to see if I missed something??

Thanks, and great work with Vault.

Don

dan

Re: Vault 2.0.1 Client questions/enhancement requests

Post by dan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:39 am

Don Thimsen wrote: 1) The Remote Date doesn't seem to be consistent. During import processing, the "Remote Date" is set to the modification date of the checked in file. This is the same way Sourcesafe and Sourceoffsite worked. Note: Almost all of the content in our repository has the modification date in the Remote Date column. However, files added/checked-in after the import use the date of the checkin for the Remote Date. It's a bit confusing... I personally prefer the "old" way.
Yea, sorry about that. The Vault server uses the checkin date as the remote date reported back to the client, and there isn't an option to change it.

The import tool can't use the checkin date, since that would be the date of the import, not the date of the real checkin, so it uses the mod date as the checkin date. But, this does lead to confusion if you really want to see the mod date as the remote date.

2) Is there a "Find in File" function in the GUI? Most of our developers keep current copies of there projects on their workstations, but I manage lots of projects and relied on the VSS Find in File function. Just checking to see if I missed something??
This is an often requested feature, but it isn't in the product :(