Working Folders with Underscore Number _1

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mthibault

Working Folders with Underscore Number _1

Post by mthibault » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:26 am

Hello,
On one client system the Vault client somehow sets the working folders to something like "project_1" "project_2" etc. instead of just "project". This is obviously a problem when we try and operate under VS since it does not find projects etc. If we go to the client and manually edit the working folders again (truncating the _Number) everything works OK. Do you have any idea what may be causing this? On our other client we do not experience this at all.
Mark Thibault - Rocx Software Corp. - http://www.rocx.com

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:36 am

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?
Yes, most likely it's VS.NET trying to set up working folders its own way and naming the duplicate folders in numerical order.

VS.NET has its own ideas on how working folders should be arranged.
Your user could backup or delete the project from his client machine, and then do a fresh Open from Source Control. The user can set the parent working directory for the solution, but then allow VS.NET to determine project and subfolder locations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:35 am

Another thought -- is this a web project? It could be that multiple virtual directories are being created with the project_N name. Delete these before doing the fresh Open from Source Control.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mthibault

Post by mthibault » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:46 am

It is a web project - thanks.

->Your user could backup or delete the project from his client machine, and then do a fresh Open from Source Control. The user can set the parent working directory for the solution, but then allow VS.NET to determine project and subfolder locations.
OK - this seems to be what he did to get it working. He got it out of source control via VS. I often work with both the client and via VS and it is OK for me. Are there recommendations regarding this type of use?
Thanks - Mark

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:59 pm

We don't recommend using both the Client and Visual Studio together. Having the Vault Client open for referencing purposes only is fine but you don't want to check out files using the Vault Client and then check in files using Visual Studio.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:50 pm

Do you mean "ever"? Or at the same time? Sometimes I check in a file wth the client that I forgot to check in with VS (and VS is either not running or does not have that same project loaded)... Am I taking a risk in doing this?
gabriel magana-gonzalez

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:50 pm

Sorry, I should have clarified this a little bit better. You won't want to use Visual Studio and the Vault Client at the same exact time. If Visual Studio is closed or you have another project opened that doesn't contain the file that you would like to check in, there should be no problem with you using the Vault Client. There should be no risk involved as long as you follow this advice.