Vault import labels

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Alec

Vault import labels

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:00 am

I've just imported a VSS database into Vault, and other than taking about 30 hours, it seemed to go fairly well. However, if I do a history query in Vault, I see a large number of "Vault Import Label" items. Is there any way to get rid of them? They appear to be related to deleted items in VSS, so perhaps purging them in VSS prior to the import would work.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:07 pm

The history items that have "Vault Label Import" as a comment are created to make sure that labels in Vault match the VSS labels exactly. Purging them from VSS or obliterating them in Vault will cause the labels that depend on those items to be incorrect. If the labels that contain those items are not important, you can redo the import without importing those labels. If the labels are important, then you should leave the deleted items in Vault. To determine which labels are using these items, you can search through your import log file for the string "Label Verification: Added a new".

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:30 pm

I searched the log file and I have 1267 lines that say "added a new file", but they don't tell me what label they refer to. The files themselves are all deleted files. If I purged the files in VSS before the import then I assume you're saying that I wouldn't see those files as being part of that label in history. I think that's preferable to my trying to figure out what each of those 1267 items are referring to. That's also preferable to having history queries filled up with "Added" and "Deleted" for files that were deleted a long time ago.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:03 pm

The label name and where it was applied to should appear a little bit above the "Added a new" with the string "Importing Label"

Here is an example of the log for a label import

Code: Select all

3/15/2004 2:20:32 PM Importing Label: $/dir b (v2) 

Committing Label Contents
Label Verification:  Added a new directory $/dir b/dir x/dir ya_VSSImport0 from VSS.
The only reason that these files are added is to make sure that the label that is imported into Vault matches the label we downloaded from VSS exactly. For the import, we chose to make matching VSS the top priority.