v2.0.6: FailDBFault error when trying to show history

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

icnocop

v2.0.6: FailDBFault error when trying to show history

Post by icnocop » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:43 am

Hello.

I am getting an error when trying to show the history of changes as follows:

1. Right-click on the root path, "$" the select "Show History..."
2. On the "Dates" tab, select "Include range" and choose "8/15/2005" for both date fields
3. On the "Users" tab, select "Include only selected users" and click on a user's name
4. Click the "OK" button

After about 10-15 minutes, I get the following error message as a dialog box:

"A database error has occured (FailDBFault)" [OK]

On this specific day, there were quiet a few new file check-ins, shares, and branches performed by this user.

Any query that includes this day and that user will fail with that error message.

Showing a history of changes by version does not fail.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 am

The server log should show what the exact error is. Can you take a look in the server's %windir%/temp/sgvault folder?

Also, which version of Vault are you using?

icnocop

Post by icnocop » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:56 pm

This is with Vault v2.0.6.

I changed the LogLevel to "Debug" in vault.config, ran iisreset, and this is what the log file contains:

----8/22/2005 1:16:08 PM (X.X.X.X)--SSL Enabled
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
----8/22/2005 1:16:08 PM (X.X.X.X)--SSL Enabled
BeginHistoryQuery returned: FailDBFault

So this is really a timeout issue.

IIS's connection timeout setting was configured to 900 seconds (15 minutes).

However, no matter what I change this value to, the Vault client always times out after 6 minutes.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:38 pm

The timeout you are seeing is probably a SQL timeout rather than the server timeout, which is 6 minutes by default.

You can change this value in the vault.config file in the Vault Service folder (in inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService) - search for the SQLCommandTimeout value.

Also, you might want to think about upgrading to 3.1, which has had a lot of performance improvements since 2.0.

icnocop

Post by icnocop » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:28 pm

That worked!

Thank you very much! :)

adje

Post by adje » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:19 am

I'm having the same problem and the solution was indeed to increase the SQL timeout. The version I have is 3.1.9.

However, a wait time of 10 minutes (in my case) is not really acceptable. Do you have any ideas or information about what the problem might be and how I can avoid it?

The problem is with a branch from a branch. The first (original) branch works ok, get history in only 12 seconds. The second branch (from a branch) has the really slow get history of 10 minutes. The number of changes is rather limited with respect to the original one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Adje

adje

Post by adje » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 am

I don't know if it matters but after making the branch, no changes have been made to the original branch.

The changes made in the second branch are more than I thought. In total 345 actions were performed (check in and additions).

Adje