Enhancement to merge: exclude nominated user transactions

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Enhancement to merge: exclude nominated user transactions

Post by christian » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi Eric,
I assume that the merge tool is still your baby hence I'm addressing this post more to you than anyone else.

Invariably when a branch is created the nightly build (and possibly the CI build) checks-in version files with the version number bumped up by one. Its then a rather tedious job of have to go through the merge wizard multiple times, picking out all those transactions that have been committed on the branch other than those committed by the automated build user account. What would be really, really helpful would be to exclude those transactions committed by the automated build account. Then it would be a case of running through the wizard once (ideal world) selecting as a "contiguous" block all the other transactions.

I appreciate this type of functionality would need to come with a health warning as its not really suitable for any scenario other than the one above. However, in this limited context I reckon there wouldn't be much risk and it would save so much time and make the merge much less error prone. Is this something that you can do?

Thanks
Christian

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 pm

I'd previously requested the ability to select non-continguous blocks of revisions to include. This would be trivial to handle as long as the revisions skipped didn't include any of the same files. This should handle your case just as easily.

(trivial in relation to handling cases where the same file was modified by the "skipped" revisions.)

christian

Post by christian » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:52 am

Ok, any one from the team going to reply on this one?

C

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:50 am

We'll log it as a feature request; other users may find this useful as well.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

christian

Post by christian » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:54 am

Thanks. Why not make the list of logged features available in some tracking database (somethink like JIRA) that allow customers to vote for the features?

C

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:14 pm

That's an idea. I'll log it as a feature request. :D

In the meantime, registered users can create polls by creating a new topic and filling out the Poll fields at the bottom of the frame. If you'd like to start polls, please put them in the Vault Discussion forum.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager