Move files in VS 2005

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

baronej

Move files in VS 2005

Post by baronej » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 pm

I'm using Vault with a VS 2005 solution. I want to reorganize how the files are laid out...

My understanding is that the behavior of the moves/renames is supposed to be more syncrhonized than 2003. Well, anyway, I attempted to move some files and selected the "Rename/move locally and in source control store" option.

The problem is that the file is not moved in Vault. Rather, I am getting VS 2003 behavior, were a copy is created at the new location, while the old one is left in place. Is that is what is supposed to happen? :?

TIA

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 am

Well, anyway, I attempted to move some files and selected the "Rename/move locally and in source control store" option.
How did you attempt to move the files? What steps did you take?

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

baronej

Post by baronej » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 am

I attempted to move the files from within the VS2005 IDE from a folder to a subfolder (I was refactoring the file structure b/c it was becoming a bit unwieldy).

All steps below were done via IDE:
1. Create subfolder within folder where files to move reside.
2. Move files to new folder
3. At this point, a dialog would appear, asking if I wanted to move the files in souce control also, or if I just wanted to move the files locally (in which case they would be removed from source control). I chose the move files in source control option.
4. At this point, the file is moved in the IDE, but the file at the new location shows "Add".
5. I open up the Vault client, and indeed see that the file has been copied (not moved) to the new location. The file at the new location is at revision 1. In other words, the expected VS 2003 behavior is what actually takes place.

John Barone

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

2. Move files to new folder
How are you attempting to move the files to a new folder? I'm not aware of a "move" feature from within VS 2005.

Tonya

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:29 pm

I have confirmed this issue and will be logging this as a bug to be resolved in an upcoming release.

Thank you for noticing and reporting this issue to us.

Tonya

andrew00

Any status?

Post by andrew00 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:34 pm

I just encountered this... moves don't seem to be working properly. Any progress on this?

Thanks!
Andrew

p.s. - just upgraded to 3.1.9, excellent work guys...

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:40 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the compliment in regards to 3.1.9, I will pass this along.

Currently, we don't have the VS 2005 move bug resolved yet. It's scheduled for our next minor release of 3.5. Vault 3.5 will be released at the end of July but we don't have 3.5.1 tentatively scheduled yet.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:39 am

Note - This enhancement is not included in the current Vault 3.5.1 release - which was quickly released to address a problem with Date Time synchronization and a Visual Studio Dialog problem.

The enhancement will be in a more inclusive Vault 3.5 maintenance release which should be out later this year.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

andrew00

Status on this?

Post by andrew00 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Everyone,

What's the status of this?

This is especially important b/c I am in the process of building a new application. As such, I do heavy refactoring and quite often find myself moving files here and there. Right now, certain types of moves create new files instead of performing a move, which kills my history information. Other renames simply fail (such as renaming from ReSharper ( which is the best Visual Studio .NET add-in in the planet, by the way) ).

Thanks,
Andrew

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 am

It is scheduled to be fixed in the next maintenance release. As things stand right now, the time frame should be end of December or early January.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear