SOSCMD 4.1.2 damages large files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Sky

SOSCMD 4.1.2 damages large files

Post by Sky » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:04 am

Hi!

I am using SOSCMD / GUI / Server 4.1.2
I receive about 175MB using SOSCMD. All files are ok but in the middle there is a file sized 60MB. It takes quite long to receive the file (as ecpected) but the file does only contain HEX "00".

If I use the GUI all works fine.

The command:
%SOS_DIR%\soscmd.exe -command GetProject -project %1 -workdir %2 -recursive -time modification -verbose -database <database here> -server <server:port here> -name <name here> -password <password here>

I already tried to receive only the 60MB File and/or to use -nocompress but it didnot help.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:49 pm

I receive about 175MB using SOSCMD. All files are ok but in the middle there is a file sized 60MB. It takes quite long to receive the file (as ecpected) but the file does only contain HEX "00".
Could you give me more details in regards to the problem that you are experiencing? Do you receive some type of error message? Does the GetProject command ever successfully succeed or do you have to manually stop it?
I already tried to receive only the 60MB File and/or to use -nocompress but it didnot help
Again, did you get some type of error message? Could the file be corrupt?

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

Sky

Post by Sky » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:37 am

The command succeds. I do not get any error message or %ERRORLEVEL% set. Everything looks normal. The files before and afterwards are fine.
Using the GUI everything works.
Using -nocompress I stopped the task after about 1 hour unfinished (cache files seemed to be damaged afterwards). Using the GUI it took only about 2min to receive the file.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 am

I would suggest trying to use the -SOSHOME option. If the SourceOffSite home directory is specified, the Command Line Client will use the same cache file (databaseX.sos) as the GUI Client to determine file status and working directories.

Specifying the SourceOffSite home directory will speed up large file retrieval operations, such as GetProject and CheckOutProject, as only files that need to be updated will be retrieved. Files that exist in the working directory that have not changed in the database will not be retrieved. If a SourceOffSite home directory is not specified, the Command Line Client will retrieve ALL files during project retrieval operations to the directory from which soscmd was run.

If the SourceOffSite home directory is specified, the Command Line Client will also look to the cache file to determine working directories. In this case, the working directories associated with the GUI Client will be used by the Command Line Client unless the -workdir or -nocache parameters are used.

The path to the SourceOffSite home directory is specified using the -soshome parameter on a command by command basis or the path can be specified by setting a SOSHOME environment variable.

- IMPORTANT NOTE ON USING THE SOURCEOFFISTE HOME DIRECTORY -

In order for the –soshome parameter to function properly, version 4.0 or later of the SourceOffSite GUI Client must be installed. Also, since both the GUI Client and the Command Line Client will be writing to the same SourceOffSite home directory, both Clients should not be run simultaneously.

Please let me know the outcome.

Tonya

Sky

Post by Sky » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:50 am

Hi!

I used %SOSHOME% which worked because the connection is encrypted. But I tried to add -soshome "%SOSHOME%" to the command shown above.

I also used the GUI to set the Workfolder to the same folder I use in -project %1 (this was different when I tried receiving the file first).

I also tried only to receive the one subfolder which contains the 60MB file.

The Result hasn't changed: It takes much longer than using the GUI und the file ist filled only with X'00'.

SourceOffSite Command Line Client: 128 bit Encryption version 4.1.2
Connected to server <server here> at port <port here>.
Received Secure Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetProject Command to server.
Requesting file: <file here>
Got file: <path+file here>
Closed connection to server <server here> at port <port here>.

The GUI displays the status as "Unknow" afterwards.
Last edited by Sky on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fabrice.aeschbacher

Post by fabrice.aeschbacher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:59 am

Hi,

Try to use soscmd's "-nocompress" option.

Regards,
Fabrice Aeschbacher

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Have you attempted to archive and restore the file that you are having problems with?

We recently discovered a problem using the CLC on files that have been restored. Is the file successful using the VSS command line utility?

Have you attempted to run Analyze?

Tonya

Sky

Post by Sky » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:21 am

Hi!

I used SOS GUI to create a new project and added the file as new one.
When I receive the file to a local folder it is error free. When I receive it to a mapped network drive it gets damaged (only hex '00').

I tried to receive the original file to a local folder --> now it is error free :shock:

is this a known issue?

Sky

Post by Sky » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 am

The problem is reproducable using a VMWare Windows 2000 SP2 with VMWare Virtual Folders mapped to a drive letter and also using a native Windows 2000 SP4 using a real network drive letter.
maybe this will help you

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:38 pm

Thank you for the detailed information you have provided. I will log this issue in our bug database for further research.

Tonya