Automatic Notification of any New Post

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Susan

Automatic Notification of any New Post

Post by Susan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:47 pm

I can request a notification when a reply is posted to a topic to which I am posting.

I would like to receive an email whenever any topic has a post.

Can I do this?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm

The way to do this is to set up an RSS feed for the forum you are interested in. A number of RSS readers will send you email whenever a new topic or reply is posted.

At the top of each forum is an announcement post that shows what the RSS feed is to use for that forum. See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=19 for an example.

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:26 pm

You can also simply click on the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom of any discussion thread.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Susan

Post by Susan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:27 am

Thank you for your replies.

The whole point of getting notifications about all posts (since I'm new to Vault) is to

1. get an education
2. not make the same mistakes
3. file away in my brain the fact that a point has been discussed on the forum, so a search will not be futile
4. get an education
5. learn about how to use features in vault with which I am not familiar (I know, that is 'getting an education')

I'm using this technique on another forum which does provide email alerts for any posts you desire, including brand new posts (posts that you do not have a chance a priori to 'watch this thread'). Granted I receive emails on topics in which I am not interested, but that is my decision. It is a continuing immersion into their software/hardware.

So, I need to go through every thread and 'watch this thread'. Then once a week, once a month, I need to search for all messages within the last week or month, and watch the new threads. A bit labor intensive.

How about a selection in our profile to watch all threads, including new ones?

Thank you

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 am

Susan, that's exactly why I use an RSS reader and subscribe to the RSS feeds for all the Vault forums. I don't get emails, but I do get all the new posts showing up in my RSS reader.

The one I use is SharpReader from www.sharpreader.net. It's the only one I've used, so I don't know how it compares to other readers.

Susan

Post by Susan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:04 am

OK. I'm in the 21st century now...

Old dogs can learn new tricks...

Thank you kindly

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 am

Unfortunately, there's not currently an option in phpBB to globally get emails when new topics are posted.

As Greg just said, RSS is the way to go if you want that. I've used NewsGator in the past and am now using RSSPopper to get forum posts sent directly to an Outlook folder.