Moving files around in a source controlled solution.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

TomK

Moving files around in a source controlled solution.

Post by TomK » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:41 pm

We have been using StarTeam for source control and I'm wondering if moving over to Vault would be of any benefit.

One of the things that has always bothered me about Starteam is that we cannot move files and folders around within a solution without having to delete the relevant files and folders completely (from starteam) and then remove them from the solution and re-add them so that they finally appear the way that we would like. (Ok I cant remember the exact order of the steps actually but its always a production). This is stopping us whenever we feel that a source code re-organization is in order because we dont want to lose the version histories in StarTeam.

I was reading in the support area that you cannot just delete or rename a file from a solution when you use Vault because the Visual studio APIs dont support deleting or renaming the file. So you have to take some extra steps to get it done.

So my question is, is moving a file or folder something that is supported in the MSSCCI api, or will I have to go through the same steps with Vault as I would with Starteam anway?

Thanks

markd

how to delete Vault source-controlled files in VS?

Post by markd » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 pm

What are these "extra steps" that will properly delete a file? (I can't find the info in the support forums that TomK refers to below)

Recap of situation:

Developer 1 deletes a file (either in the vault client or in visual studio)
Developer 2 connects to vault. the file is found locally but not in the source database, so visual studio flags the file as 'newly added', and if developer 2 does a check in without noticing this, the file gets back into source safe.

If there are 5 developers in the team, and 4 of them notice and manually delete the file, but the 5th once doesn't notice and checks it in again, then we're back at square 1. merely deleting a file becomes like trying to quarantine and stamp out a rabies outbreak... or a cockroach infestation.

SourceSafe somehow managed this problem... i can't remember exactly how.. i think visual studio would bring up a dialog box and the default option deleted the right files.

help!?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Here's a KB article that addresses the issue in VS.NET:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=297
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

markd

Post by markd » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:39 am

Hi, thanks for the link to the article, but it's 4 years old -- just before microsoft got visual studio and visual source-safe much better integrated. I was just wondering if vault can be made to behave the same way, but apparently not.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Mark,

From within Visual Studio 2005, if a user opens a project that has had a file deleted and that deleted file exists on their machine locally, the file will get checked in if a "get latest" operation has not been performed first.

We already have this logged in our database and will be reviewing it for upcoming releases. We are currently attempting to make Vault integrate better with Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support