Client install removed previous version?!

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

JasonBunting

Client install removed previous version?!

Post by JasonBunting » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 pm

I use Vault v2.0.6 at home, and have the client installed on my laptop. I just started a project at work for which we are using v3.1.2. Unless I missed this documented somewhere, I didn't expect the install of the v3.1.2 client to remove my v2.0.6 client. I made sure during install of the newer client that it installed to C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client 3\ rather than the default location of C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\ which is where the v2.0.6 client was already installed. What gives? I need to run these side by side. Seems kind of lame that it uninstalled my previous version of the client...
j a s o n b u n t i n g

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:01 pm

We have a KB article on how to have two clients running at the same time: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4010

There are a few limitations to running two clients with different versions, so be sure to read all the article.

JasonBunting

Post by JasonBunting » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:45 pm

dan wrote:We have a KB article on how to have two clients running at the same time: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4010

There are a few limitations to running two clients with different versions, so be sure to read all the article.
Well, I read that and either you didn't read exactly what I wrote, opting instead to point me to something you assumed would answer my question, or I am really confused about how it relates.

Again: if, during the installation of v3.1.2 of the Vault Client, I indicate that the installation should happen to a directory different than the one the previous version (v2.0.6) exists in (and it did install in the location I specified), why would the previous version simply disappear? I mean, the folder is just gone. I mean, as I read the post at the link you specified, I essentially did what it said to do - namely, installed the clients to 2 different directories. Also, I am not using IDE integration and I know that they need to point the different servers, etc. I just understand why it uninstalled my previous version without warning. You guys should make your installer more well-behaved by at least telling the user that any previously installed version will be wiped out.
j a s o n b u n t i n g

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:50 am

Sorry - I jumped ahead to what you need, which is two clients running on the same machine.

The installer is setup to upgrade an existing installation of the client, which means the existing installation always gets replaced by the current version of the client, regardless of where you install it. That's why the instructions indicate you need to manually copy the executables to a different directory - the installer won't remove those.

We did it this way because very few users need to have two different versions of the client running at the same time, and it removes a possible way for them to get into trouble (by accidentely running the wrong client and being confused why it doesn't work). So, we decided that for the few users that need this, reading a KB article and doing some manually copying of files is a good way to understand the issues involved.

Also, warning users that their existing clients will be removed will make them think they are doing something wrong and questioning whether this is the right installer or how they can get around it, when it is almost always exactly what they should be doing.

Sorry this was frustrating or unexpected for you. We know the current solution is not ideal.