Exporting contents of a working folder

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

SharonC

Exporting contents of a working folder

Post by SharonC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:37 am

We are upgrading to VS2005. We have a large application which was written in VS2003. We need to test upgrading it to 2005. I would prefer to get a copy of the latest version of the 2003 project which is outside of source control so that my colleague can work on this separately with no risk of changing our current version of the software. What is the best way to do this? I don't want there to be any chance of the upgrade to 2005 overwriting or modifying any of our current files. This is just for testing purposes. When we do the upgrade 'for real' we'll take a different approach (branching?).

Thanks,

Sharon

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:57 am

One approach would be to completely copy the Vault database to a different server, and have the testing happen on a different server. You'd do an Open From Source Control on the new server to a new working folder locally, and then invoke the VS2005 conversion tool, and then checkin the new changes to new vault server.

Another approach would be to create a new test repository on your Vault server, and then add the converted VS2005 project to it. (You wouldn't be able to move the history of the project using this approach).

Finally, you could create a test branch in your existing Vault DB, which you could later delete. However, know that our obliterate command is extremely slow, so getting rid of the solution later could take awhile.

SharonC

Post by SharonC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 am

Thanks,
dan wrote:One approach would be to completely copy the Vault database to a different server, and have the testing happen on a different server. You'd do an Open From Source Control on the new server to a new working folder locally, and then invoke the VS2005 conversion tool, and then checkin the new changes to new vault server.
Unfortunately , I don't have access to another server to put Vault on.
dan wrote: Another approach would be to create a new test repository on your Vault server, and then add the converted VS2005 project to it. (You wouldn't be able to move the history of the project using this approach).
This sounds like the approach I would prefer - however, surely I still need a 'clean' (i.e. NOT under source control) version of the project to convert to VS2005 which I can then add to the new repository? I cannot risk doing anything to mess up the original VS2003 code (unless I have a new job to go to!). Can you explain how I can get a copy of the project into a new repository?
dan wrote: Finally, you could create a test branch in your existing Vault DB, which you could later delete. However, know that our obliterate command is extremely slow, so getting rid of the solution later could take awhile.
Don't like the sound of that!

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:44 am

SharonC wrote: This sounds like the approach I would prefer - however, surely I still need a 'clean' (i.e. NOT under source control) version of the project to convert to VS2005 which I can then add to the new repository? I cannot risk doing anything to mess up the original VS2003 code (unless I have a new job to go to!). Can you explain how I can get a copy of the project into a new repository?
Actually, VS2005 conversion works whether the project is under source control or not. But, using this approach would probably be easier if you unbound the project, did the conversion, then added it to source control.

So, the exact steps would be:

1. In VS 2003, do an Open From Source Control from the existing repository to a new working folder.
2. Go to Source Control->Change Source Control and unbind the project.
3. Close the project in VS 2003 and pen it in VS2005. This will invoke their conversion tool.
4. After everything is converted properly, do an Add To Source Control to your new repository.

After that, it should be all setup, and any other people who want to join in on the testing can do an Open From Source Control from the test repository to a new working folder on their local machine.

SharonC

Post by SharonC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:12 am

Thanks Dan,
We've just tried that on a very small project we're developing and it went fine.

Many thanks for your help with this - I'm sure I'll be back!

Time to go home now ;-)

Sharon